Williamstown is a town in southern Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry County, in eastern Ontario, Canada on the Raisin River. Williamstown is the site of the longest-running agricultural fair in Ontario, which has been held every year since 1812.
This area was first settled by United Empire Loyalists. The development of this area was encouraged by Sir John Johnson, a wealthy landowner loyal to Britain, who was forced to abandon his land holdings in New York State during the American Revolution. The town was named after Johnson's father Sir William Johnson. The house built by Johnson near the end of the 18th century, The Manor House, is a Canadian National Historic Site. A grist mill and saw mill, now gone, were also built on the same location.
Williamstown contains the oldest log house in Ontario which was built in 1784. Occupants over the years have included the Reverend John Bethune, the great great grandfather of Doctor Norman Bethune, and David Thompson, Canadian explorere.
Some of the main partners of the Northwest Company, including Hugh McGillis, lived in this area. Williamstown is now the site of the Nor'westers & Loyalist Museum.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m