Walton County is a county located in the state of Florida. As of 2000, the population is 40,601. Its county seat is De Funiak Springs, Florida6.
Walton County was created in 1824. It was named for George Walton, Secretary of the Florida territory from 1821 to 1826.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 3,206 km² (1,238 mi²). 2,739 km² (1,058 mi²) of it is land and 467 km² (180 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 14.58% water.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 40,601 people, 16,548 households, and 11,120 families residing in the county. The population density is 15/km² (38/mi²). There are 29,083 housing units at an average density of 11/km² (28/mi²). The racial makeup of the county is 88.41% White, 6.98% Black or African American, 1.28% Native American, 0.45% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.75% from other races, and 2.09% from two or more races. 2.17% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 16,548 households out of which 26.40% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.00% are married couples living together, 10.10% have a female householder with no husband present, and 32.80% are non-families. 27.10% of all households are made up of individuals and 10.10% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.35 and the average family size is 2.83.
In the county the population is spread out with 21.70% under the age of 18, 7.10% from 18 to 24, 28.50% from 25 to 44, 26.90% from 45 to 64, and 15.80% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 40 years. For every 100 females there are 105.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 105.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county is $32,407, and the median income for a family is $37,663. Males have a median income of $26,799 versus $21,208 for females. The per capita income for the county is $18,198. 14.40% of the population and 11.60% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 21.00% of those under the age of 18 and 10.90% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Cities and towns
- De Funiak Springs
- Miramar Beach (unincorporated)
Government links/Constitutional offices
- Walton County Board of County Commissioners (http://www.co.walton.fl.us)
- Walton County Supervisor of Elections (http://supervisorofelections.co.walton.fl.us/)
- Walton County Property Appraiser (http://propertyappraiser.co.walton.fl.us/)
- Walton County Sheriff's Office (http://sheriff.co.walton.fl.us/)
- Walton County Tax Collector (http://www.waltontaxcollector.com/)
- Walton County School District (http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/)
- Northwest Florida Water Management District (http://sun6.dms.state.fl.us/nwfwmd/)
- Walton County Clerk of Courts (http://clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us/clerk/)
- Public Defender, 1st Judicial Circuit of Florida (http://www.pdo1.org/) serving Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, and Walton counties
- Office of the State Attorney, 1st Judicial Circuit of Florida (http://sao1.co.escambia.fl.us/pensacola.htm)
- Circuit and County Court for the 1st Judicial Circuit of Florida (http://www.firstjudicialcircuit.org/PageView.asp?PageType=R&edit_id=1)
- Beaches of South Walton Tourism Development Council (http://www.beachesofsouthwalton.com/)
|Regions of Florida || |
|Central Florida | Emerald Riviera | First Coast | Florida Panhandle | Florida Keys | Lee Island Coast | Nature Coast | Orlando Area | Redneck Riviera | Space Coast | Treasure Coast | South Florida | Sun Coast | Tampa Bay Area |
|Largest Cities |
|Cape Coral | Clearwater | Coral Springs | Fort Lauderdale | Hialeah | Hollywood | Jacksonville | Miami | Miramar | North Miami | Orlando | Pembroke Pines | Plantation | Pompano Beach | Port St. Lucie | St. Petersburg | Sunrise | Tallahassee | Tampa | West Palm Beach |
|Alachua | Baker | Bay | Bradford | Brevard | Broward | Calhoun | Charlotte | Citrus | Clay | Collier | Columbia | DeSoto | Dixie | Duval | Escambia | Flagler | Franklin | Gadsden | Gilchrist | Glades | Gulf | Hamilton | Hardee | Hendry | Hernando | Highlands | Hillsborough | Holmes | Indian River | Jackson | Jefferson | Lafayette | Lake | Lee | Leon | Levy | Liberty | Madison | Manatee | Marion | Martin | Miami-Dade | Monroe | Nassau | Okaloosa | Okeechobee | Orange | Osceola | Palm Beach | Pasco | Pinellas | Polk | Putnam | Santa Rosa | Sarasota | Seminole | St. Johns | St. Lucie | Sumter | Suwannee | Taylor | Union | Volusia | Wakulla | Walton | Washington |