> University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
| The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston |
© The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston official seal
|Motto ||Disciplina, Praesidium, Civitatis |
|Established ||1972 |
|School type ||Public |
|President ||James T. Willerson |
|Location ||Houston, Texas, USA |
|Campus ||Urban; 3,076,020 ft² (286,000 m²) |
|Enrollment ||347 undergraduate, |
|Faculty ||1215 |
|Athletics ||recreational |
|Homepage ||http://www.uth.edu/ |
Logo is a trademark of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHSC-H), was created by the UT System Board of Regents and supported by the Texas Legislature in 1972. Located in the world renowned Texas Medical Center, the school is primarily a graduate education university focusing on the health sciences. The UTHSC-H School of Public Health ranked number 1 in doctoral health education in 2004. 1972 was a leap year that started on a Saturday. ...
The term public school has two contrary meanings: In England, one of a small number of prestigious historic schools open to the public which normally charge fees and are financed by bodies other than the state, commonly as private charitable trusts; here the word public is used much as in...
Houston redirects here. ...
State nickname: Lone Star State Other U.S. States Capital Austin Largest city Houston Governor Rick Perry Official languages None Area 696,241 km² (2nd) - Land 678,907 km² - Water 17,333 km² (2. ...
The United States of America — also referred to as the United States, the U.S.A., the U.S., America, the States, or (archaically) Columbia—is a federal republic of 50 states located primarily in central North America (with the exception of two states: Alaska and Hawaii). ...
Urban is in or having to do with cities, as distinct from rural areas. ...
Houston redirects here. ...
Picture of the Texas Medical Center Skyline The Texas Medical Center is the largest and one of the most famous groups of medical institutions worldwide. ...
Size and budget
In 2004 UTHSC-H had an operating budget of $556.2 million. With 3,076,020 ft² (286,000 m²) occupied in 36 buildings throughout the Texas Medical Center, the facility is the world's largest medical center. Over 600 grant-funded research projects are in progress at any given time. UTHSC-H further enjoyed $60.9 million in endowments in 2004 and had a $1.7 billion economic impact on the Houston metropolitan region. Picture of the Texas Medical Center Skyline The Texas Medical Center is the largest and one of the most famous groups of medical institutions worldwide. ...
Awards and honors
- Nobel Prize Laureate - Ferid Murad, MD, PhD
- Prince Mahidol Award for Medicine - Palmer Beasley, MD
- National Academy of Science - Ferid Murad, MD, PhD
- Academy of Arts and Sciences - Ferid Murad, MD, PhD; William J. Schull, PhD; Irma Gigli, MD
- Institute of Medicine - LuAnn Aday, PhD; Irma Gigli, MD; Ferid Murad, MD, PhD; James T. Willerson, MD
- American Association for the Advancement of Science - L. Maximilian Buja, MD; John H. Byrne, PhD; Kathleen Gibson, PhD; Irma Gigli, MD; Ferid Murad, MD, PhD; Jerry Wolinsky, MD
- American Academy of Nursing - Mara Baun, DNSC, RN, FAAN; Nancy Bergstrom, PhD, RN, FAAN; Marlene Z. Cohen, PhD, RN, FAAN; Frank Cole, PhD, RN, CEN, CS, FNP, FAAN; Deanna Grimes, DrPH, RN, FAAN; Sandra Hanneman, PhD, RN, FAAN; * Joanne Hickey, PhD, APRN, BC, ACNP, FAAN; Thomas Mackey, PhD, NP-C, FAAN; Marianne Marcus, EdD, RN, FAAN; Janet Meininger, PhD, RN, FAAN; Gwen Sherwood, PhD, RN, FAAN; Patricia L. Starck, DSN, RN, FAAN; Geri Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN
UT Health Science Center campus is located in Houston, next to the Rice University campus.
- Dental Branch (http://www.db.uth.tmc.edu/)
- Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (http://gsbs.gs.uth.tmc.edu/)
- Medical School (http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/index.asp)
- School of Health Information Sciences (http://www.shis.uth.tmc.edu/)
- School of Nursing (http://sonser4.nur.uth.tmc.edu/)
- School of Public Health (http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/)
University of Texas HSC-Houston centers and institutes
- The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Center on Aging
- Coordinating Center for Clinical Trials
- Gulf States Hemophilia & Thrombophilia Center/Pediatric AIDS Center
- Houston Biomaterials Research Center
- Houston Center for Bone Research
- Human Genetics Center
- Human Nutrition Center
- Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine for the Prevention of Human Diseases
- Laboratory for Molecular Diagnosis of Inherited Eye Diseases
- Mental Sciences Institute
- Medical Education Information Center
- Neuroscience Research Center
- Program on Humanities & Technology in Health Care
- Southwest Center for Occupational & Environmental Health
- Structural Biology Center
- Trauma Research Center
- University Clinical Research Center
- Weatherhead PET Imaging Center
- Center for Academic & Reading Skills (CARS)
- Center for Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness
- Center for Cardiovascular Biology and Atherosclerosis Research
- Center for Clinical Genetics Research Center
- Center for Clinical Research & Evidence Based Medicine
- Center for Computational Biomedicine
- Center for Education and Information Resources
- Center for Health Policy Studies
- Center for Health Promotion & Prevention Research
- Center for Human Development Research
- Center for Improving the Readiness of Children for Learning & Education (CIRCLE)
- Center for nfectious Diseases
- Center for Laboratory Animal Medicine & Care
- Center for Medical & Public Health Chronobiology
- Center for Membrane Biology
- Center for Mickey Leland National Urban Air Toxics Research Center
- Center for Nursing Research
- Center for Society and Population Health
- Center for Study of Emerging & Reemerging Pathogens
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston Texas is one of the world’s most productive and highly regarded academic institutions devoted to cancer patient care, research, education, and prevention. ...