UNSCOP stands for the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine.
Formed in May of 1947, in response to the handover of the British Mandate of Palestine to the UN to vote upon which solution to use for partitioning the land. Map of the territory under the British Mandate of Palestine. ...
The examples and perspective in this article do not represent a worldwide view. ...
The committee actively followed the unravelling of the Exodus Jewish immigration ship saga. Some committee members were present at the port of Haifa when the Jewish immigrants were forcefully removed from the ship and deported to Cyprus. They later testified that this had greatly influenced them to find an urgent solution for the problem in Palestine. This article needs to be wikified. ...
This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of quality. ...
Jews were still a considerable minority, constituing only a third of the population and owning roughly 6 percent of the total land in Palestine. However, the conditions in Palestine were quickly deteriorating and a solution was urgently needed.
The committee recommended that the British mandate should be terminated and Palestine should be granted independence. However, the committee was divided on what kind of state it should be. Yet, they presented the possibility of both an Arab state and Jewish state within Palestine, with the borders basically drawn along population lines.
- Mr. J. D. L. HOOD, representative
- Mr. S. L. ATYEO, alternate
- Ivan Rand|Justice I. C. RAND]], representative
- Mr. Leon MAYRAND, alternate
- Mr. Karl LISICKY, representative
- Dr. Richard PEACH, alternate
- Dr. Jorge Garcia GRANDEES, representative
- Mr. E. ZEA GONZALES, alternate
- Sir Abdur RAHMAN, representative
- Mr. Venkata VISWANATHAN, alternate
- Mr. H.DAYAL, second alternate
- Mr. Nasrollah ENTEZAM, representative
- Dr. Ali AKDALAN, alternate
- Dr. N. S.BLOM, representative
- Mr. A. I. SPITS, alternate
- Dr. Alberto ULLOA, representative
- Dr. Arturo Garcia SALAZAR, alternate
- Justice Emil SANDSTROM, representative
- Dr. Paul MOHN, alternate
- Professor Enrique Rodriguez FABREGAT, representative
- Mr. Secco ELLAURI, alternate
- Mr. Vladimir SIMIC, representative
- Dr. Jose BRILEJ, alternate