Please wikify (format) this article as suggested in the Guide to layout and the Manual of Style. Remove this template after wikifying. This article has been tagged since April 2006.
The Treaty of Mendota was signed on August 5, 1851 between the United States federal government and the Mdewakanton and Wahpekute Sioux of Minnesota near Pilot Knob on the south bank of the Minnesota River and within sight of Fort Snelling. The treaty stipulated that the Mdewakanton and Wahpekute bands were to receive $1,410,000 in return for relocating to the Lower Sioux Agency on the Minnesota River near present-day Mankato along with giving up their rights to a significant portion of southern Minnesota. With the signing of the Treaty of Mendota along with the earlier Treaty of Traverse des Sioux, most of southern Minnesota became open to white settlement.
Meyer, Roy Willard. History of the Santee Sioux: United States Indian policy on trial. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1993.
Categories: Wikify from April 2006 | United States and Native American treaties
Madison is served by the Chicago and North-Western, the Chicago, Milwaukee and St Paul, and the Illinois Central railways (being the northern terminus of the last), and by interurban electric lines, connecting with Janesville, Beloit and Chicago.
Among the public buildings on or near the park are the federal building, housing the post office and the United States courts, the city hall, the Dane county court-house, the public library, the Fuller opera-house, the county gaol, and the high school.
North of the city, occupying a tract of 500 acres, on Lake Mendota, are the buildings and grounds of the state hospital for the insane, opened in 1860.
The Mendota area was acquired in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, and after being renamed twice in two years, this area of the Louisiana Territory was standing on the brink of making history.
In 1851, the northeast side of Pilot Knob was the meeting place chosen by the Dakota for the signing of the Treaty of Mendota, which opened the lands west of the Mississippi, including Dakota County, to settlement.
On February 21, 1956, the residents of the remainder of Mendota Township voted to incorporate as the Village of Mendota Heights.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m