The Treaty of Fort Pitt, or the Treaty With the Delawares, was the first treaty signed by the new United States of America on September 17, 1778, with the Delaware Indians. It was signed at Fort Pitt, Pennsylvania. The treaty gave the United States permission to travel through Delaware territory and called for the Delawares to afford American troops whatever aid they might require in their war against Britain, including the use of their own warriors. In exchange, the United States promised "articles of clothing, utensils and implements of war". The treaty also recognized the Delawares as a sovereign nation and guaranteed their territorial rights, even encouraging the other Ohio Indian tribes friendly to the United States to form a state headed by the Delawares with representation in Congress. Congress did not approve the measure, however, and some suggest that the authors of the treaty were knowingly dishonest and deceitful. September 17 is the 260th day of the year (261st in leap years). ... 1785 was a common year starting on Thursday (see link for calendar). ... The Lenape or Lenni-Lenape (later named Delaware Indians by Europeans) were, in the 1600s, loosely organized bands of Native American people practicing small-scale agriculture to augment a largely mobile hunter-gatherer society in the region around the Delaware River, the lower Hudson River, and western Long Island Sound. ... Fort Pitt was a fort in what is now Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. ... State nickname: The Keystone State Other U.S. States Capital Harrisburg Largest city Philadelphia Governor Ed Rendell Official languages None Area 119,283 km² (33rd) - Land 116,074 km² - Water 3,208 km² (2. ... State nickname: The Buckeye State Other U.S. States Capital Columbus Largest city Columbus Governor Bob Taft Official languages None Area 116,096 km² (34th) - Land 106,154 km² - Water 10,044 km² (8. ... Seal of the Congress. ...
Text of the treaty (http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/ntreaty/del1778.htm)
Categories: Pennsylvania history | United States and Native American treaties | 1778 in law
This first fort stood on the apex of the upper angle formed by the confluence of the great Kanawha and Ohio Rivers, it was built in October arid November of 1774 and named Fort Blair after John Blair, by Captain William Russell who was both the designer and builder.
Fort Randolph served to guard the “backdoor” of Virginia and was garrisoned throughout the American Revolution.
In May 1778 a force of 200 Indians appeared before the fort but as the garrison had been very much reduced by the removal of Captain Arbuckle’s company, and the experience of the last season had taught them prudence, Captain McKee forbore to detach any of his men in pursuit of them.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m