Transmen or trans men are transsexual or transgendered people who were assigned female gender at birth (or, in some rare cases of intersexuality, later) and who feel that this is not an accurate or complete description of themselves. They therefore assume a male gender identity or strive to present themselves in a more male gender role.
Transmen can come from the whole of the female-to-male side of the transgender spectrum, from female-to-male transsexual persons to drag kings (female cross-dressers or transvestites are very rarely used designations) who consider themselves transgendered.
Many transmen however do not use this particular word to describe themselves. Some transmen, who consider their change of gender role to be completed, prefer to be called simply men. Others either do not consider their gender identity to be the same as that of cisgendered men, or have other, individual reasons to prefer another self-identification. The American Boyz, a transmale support organization, lists the following self-descriptions for some transmale-identified people:
- "FTM/F2M (Female-To-Male), Butch, Trans man, FTV (Female TransVestite), Gender Outlaw, Genderqueer, Transsexual, Drag King, New Man, Boychick, She-Bear, Shapeshifter, Transfag, Tomboy, Passing Woman, Two-Spirit, Amazon, Tranny Boy, Intersexual, Female Guy, Tranz, Boss Grrl, Bearded Female, Transgenderist, Sir, Kurami, Hermaphrodite, Questioning".
Please note that many of these previously listed designations are considered wrong or sometimes offensive to those transmen who identify in with another self-description, and should not be used unless specifically requested.
The sexual orientation of transmen is very varied. Based on observations from many groups, the following applies: One third prefers male partners and identifies as gay, one third prefers female partners and identifies usually as straight, and the last third either identfies as bisexual, pan- or omnisexual, undecided, or asexual. These are approximations due to the lack of accurate scientific statistics.
People who identify as lesbian and queer transmen who prefer female partners are also known, these are transmen who do indeed changed their gender role, but do not want to leave the lesbian community they were part of for a long time entirely behind them.
A short list of "famous" transmen includes:
- Meryn Cadell, writer and musician
- Patrick Califia, writer
- Loren Cameron, photographer  (http://www.lorencameron.com)
- James Green, writer & educator  (http://www.jamisongreen.com)
See also: List of transgender-related topics
- The American Boyz (http://home.iximd.com/~amboyz/)
- FTM International (http://ftmi.org)