FACTOID # 5: Minnesota and Connecticut are both in the top 5 in saving money and total tax burden per capita.
 
 Home   Encyclopedia   Statistics   States A-Z   Flags   Maps   FAQ   About 
   
 
WHAT'S NEW
 

SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 

 

(* = Graphable)

 

 


Encyclopedia > Toronto Island ferry services

Ferry service to Toronto Islands is provided by the City of Toronto Parks and Recreation Department (formerly Metro Toronto Parks and Culture Department). It has been operating ferries since the 1960s. The TTC once operated ferry boats to Toronto Island, which were serviced by streetcars. Toronto Islands as seen from CN Tower. ... The Department of Parks and Recreation was responsible for maintaining major parks and cultural sites around Toronto. ... The Department of Parks and Culture was responsible for maintaining major parks and cultural sites around Metro Toronto. ... Year 1960 (MCMLX) was a leap year starting on Friday (link will display full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar. ... The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a public transport authority that operates buses, streetcars, subways, and rapid transit lines in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. ... The Toronto Islands provide a shallow natural harbour for the city of Toronto. ...

Contents

Fleet

Two of Toronto's island ferries are double deck, double end ships. The upper decks are open and the lower decks enclosed. There is also one ferry for transporting service vehicles and passengers to and from the island. The current fleet uses diesel for fuel.


Historic list of ferries operated or are operating to Toronto Islands

Toronto Islands as seen from CN Tower. ...

Toronto Ferry Company

Product list and details
 Make/Model   Description   # passengers   Year acquired   Year retired   Notes 
* Mayflower - built by Bathurst Street Wharf for John Doty Engine & Ferry Company Ferry 900-1000 1890 1938 Later acquired from the Toronto Ferry Company by E.B. Osler (with acquisition of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company and Tymon's Island Ferry Company
Primrose built by Bathurst Street Wharf for John Doty Engine & Ferry Company Ferry 900-1000 1890 1938 Sister ship to the Mayflower; later acquired from the Toronto Ferry Company
Bluebell - built by Polson Iron Works Limited for Toronto Ferry Company Ferry N/A 1906 1955
Trillium 1910-1957 - built by Polson Iron Works Limited for Toronto Ferry Company Ferry N/A 1910; 1976 1957 Re-entered service in 1976 with Metro Parks
William Inglis - built by Toronto Drydock Company Ferry 500 1935
Sam McBride - built by Toronto Drydock Company Ferry 1000 1939

Bathurst Street Wharf was one a few ship builders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ... Bathurst Street Wharf was one a few ship builders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ... Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ... Year 1910 (MCMX) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Friday [1] of the 13-day-slower Julian calendar). ... Year 1957 (MCMLVII) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link displays the 1957 Gregorian calendar). ... Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ... Year 1976 Pick up sticks(MCMLXXVI) was a leap year starting on Thursday (link will display full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar. ... Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ... Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ...

Toronto Transit Commission

The TTC also used a number of smaller ferries from private operators: The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a public transport authority that operates buses, streetcars, subways, and rapid transit lines in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. ...

Product list and details
 Make/Model   Description   # Passengers   Year acquired   Year retired   Notes 
Miss York Ferry N/A 1918 1929
Miss Simcoe Ferry N/A 1918 1929
Clark Bros. Ferry N/A 1918 1927
John Hanlan Ferry N/A 1918 1927
Luella - built by W. Armour & Company and John Doty Engine Company for Toronto Ferry Company Ferry 122 1882 1934
Ned Hanlan Ferry N/A 1902 1966
T.J. Clark - engines by Polson Iron Works Wooden screw ferry N/A 1918 1960
Alymer Ferry N/A 1918 1929
Buttercup Ferry N/A 1918 1929
Jasmine Ferry N/A 1918 1929

W. Armour and Company was one of a few shipbuilders on the Great Lakes. ... The Toronto Ferry Company was formed from the merge of John Doty Engine & Ferry Company with Tymons Island Ferry Company, two of Torontos early ferry operators. ...

City of Toronto/Metro Toronto

Here is a list of ferries operated by Toronto Parks:

Product list and details
 Make/Model   Description   Fleet size   Year acquired   Year retired   Notes 
William Inglis - built by Toronto Drydock Company Ferry 1 1935
Sam McBride - built by Toronto Drydock Company Ferry 1 1939
Thomas Rennie - built by Toronto Drydock Company Ferry 1 1951
Ongiara Island car ferry 1 1963. Built by Russel Bros., Owen Sound, Ontario. Repowered in November 2006.
Maple City - Owned by Toronto Port Authority and operates to the City Centre Airport. NOT owned by Toronto Parks, recreation and Foresty Dept. Island car ferry 1 1964
Windmill Point Owned by Toronto Port Authority and operates to the City Centre Airport. NOT owned by Toronto Parks, recreation and Foresty Dept. Island car ferry 1 1985
TCCA1 - an acronym for Toronto City Centre Airport 1. Owned by Toronto Port Authority and operates to the City Centre Airport. NOT owned by Toronto Parks, recreation and Foresty Dept. Island car and passenger ferry - by Hike Metal Products of Weatley, Ontario 1 2006

Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ... Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ... Toronto Drydock Company was one of a few shipbuilders in Toronto and on the Great Lakes. ...

Docks

With the exception of the Bay Street docks, all other docks are not enclosed and consist of a series of metal fences and ramps.


City or Bay Street Docks: This dock is located at the foot of Bay Street on the mainland and consists of four piers. They are located in the enclosed main docks, and the last pier is an open area to the east for the larger Trillium ferry boat.


Hanlan's Point Docks: This dock is located to the west next to the island airport and consists of three piers.


Centre Island Docks: This dock is located on Island Park and consists of two piers. There are washrooms and a snack bar nearby. There is no winter service from this dock.


Ward's Island Docks: This dock is located on Ward's Island to the east and consists of a single pier.


Western Gap: This dock is located at the foot of Bathurst Street and consists of a single pier. Parking is available for cars not crossing over to the Island on the ferry.


Island Airport Docks: This dock is located at the north end of the island airport and consists of a single pier/loading ramp.


Other services

The TTC relationship with the Toronto Island continues with bus services when ferry service is interrupted. The vehicles are loaned from the TTC, but they are operated by Parks and Recreation. The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a public transport authority that operates buses, streetcars, subways, and rapid transit lines in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. ... The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a public transport authority that operates buses, streetcars, subways, and rapid transit lines in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. ...


Other ships

Other ships to ply the waters off Toronto, Ontario: Template:Hide = Motto: Template:Unhide = Diversity Our Strength Image:Toronto, Ontario Location. ...

Product list and details
 Make/Model   Description   Fleet size   Year acquired   Year retired   Notes 
HMS Speedy schooner 1 sank 1804
Onondaga
Luella wooden ferry 1 1880 by John Doty 1935 damaged by fire in 1904; re-launched 1906; ended ferry service 1935 and broken up 1944
HMS Toronto naval ship 1 John Dennis at shipyard at Humber River and Bloor Street and sank 1811
HMS Sir Issac Brock naval warship 1 incomplete and burned in 1813
Peninsula Packet 1
Tinning's Cigar Boat 1
Monarch 1
Provincial 1
Bouqest 1
Pacific 1 sank 1861
Sir John of the Peninsula 1 1833 1935 built by John Dennis (1758-1832)
William Lyon Mackenzie fireboat and icebreaker 1 1964 Built by Russell Brothers Limited
Docked approximately 1km west of the Ferry Docks.
Hiawatha private tender - seats 90 1 1895; 2001 built by Bertram Engine Company, Toronto for Royal Canadian Yacht Club with steam engine (replaced with diesel in 1950); sank 2000 and re-launched 2001
Kwasind ferry boat 1 built for Royal Canadian Yacht Club
Spirit of Ontario I Austal Ships Auto Express 86 Class - 774 passengers; 238 car-equivalents (or a maximum of 10 trucks and 150 cars) 1 2004 2005 Service cancelled and ship sold

H.M.S. Speedy The schooner HMS Speedy sank in a storm in Lake Ontario near Brighton, Ontario on October 8, 1804. ... HMS Toronto was a naval ship built by John Dennis at shipyard at Humber River and Bloor Street in Toronto in 1799. ... For the US Federal Agent designation, see Special agent. ... HMS Sir Isaac Brock was a warship which was destroyed before being completed at York, Upper Canada during the War of 1812. ... Year 1813 (MDCCCXIII) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar). ... Year 1861 (MDCCCLXI) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Sunday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar). ... William Lyon Mackenzie # 334, named for Torontos first mayor William Lyon Mackenzie, is a fireboat for the Toronto Fire Services. ... The fireboat Guardian was a gift of survivors of the Loma Prieta earthquake to supplement San Franciscos fireboat Phoenix. ... For other uses, see Icebreaker (disambiguation). ... Russel Brothers Limited was a steel tug boat builder in Ontario with facilities in Fort Frances, Ontario and Owen Sound, Ontario. ... Austal Ships (ASX: ASB) is a shipbuilder located in Henderson, Western Australia. ... Auto Express 86 is a class of high-speed catamaran vehicle-passenger ferries built by Austal Ships of Australia. ...

See also

Bay Ferries Great Lakes Limited is a subsidiary of Northumberland Ferries Limited (NFL). ...

References

  • Toronto Island Ferry History: the 1980s - Toronto Island Ferry
  • a Glimpse of Toronto's History - Opportunities for Commemoration of Lost Historical Sites City Planning Division, Urban Development Services - City of Toronto 2001, MPLS 076 and MPLS 068

  Results from FactBites:
 
Toronto Island Ferry History: the Beginning (1239 words)
This was to prove invaluable later on, in the planning of street and roads for the later Island community.
As time went on, the Island Filtration Plant for purifying the city's water supply was built on the portion of the Island known as Hanlan's Point (named after the famed Toronto oarsman and sculler, Ned Hanlan), and the now-defunct Wiman Baths also made their appearance on the east side of the Hanlan grounds.
Ferries continued to be built, and by 1882 the C
  More results at FactBites »

 
 

COMMENTARY     


Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Your name
Your comments

Want to know more?
Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 


Press Releases |  Feeds | Contact
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the GFDL.
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m