Toompea is a hill in Tallinn centre. It is made of limestone and is about 20-30 meters higher than the city around it. It has an area of about 400 by 250 meters.
The first (wooden) castle, Lindanise, is believed to have been built on the hill in either the 10th or 11th century by ancient revalians - ests (estonians). It is probably one of the first inhabitated parts of the Tallinn city. In 1219 the castle was conquered by Danishcrusaders - led by Valdemar II. By tradition the Danish flag (a red cow skin with white cross) was given to the Danish king by God when besieging the castle. During the different occupations (Germans, Swedes, Russians) that part of Tallinn has been able to retain its special rights which ended in 1889. Toompea was joined with other parts of Tallinn (lower town) in 1878.
In folklore the city is known as the grave of Kalev.
During the subsequent different rulers (Teutonic Order, Sweden, Imperial Russia) Toompea, as a separate "upper town" part of Tallinn was able to retain a variety of special rights and privileges, the last of which remained in the books until 1889.
Toompea was joined with other parts of Tallinn ("lower town") in 1878.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m