The team used the nickname of its major-league parent through the 1991 season. It was known as the Quad City River Bandits from 1992 through the 2003 season. On October 20, 2003, the team was renamed the Swing of the Quad Cities; the nickname, like the previous one, was chosen as the winning entry in a "name the team" contest.
The club's home ballpark is John O'Donnell Stadium, located on the Mississippi River in downtown Davenport. Built in 1931 as Municipal Stadium, it was renamed for a former local sportswriter in 1971. The park has received positive reviews for its view of the river, but the river has also created problems as the field was completely submerged during the floods of 1993 and 2001, forcing the team to play in other parks. In 2002 the Davenport city council approved plans for the renovation of John O'Donnell Stadium, which brought the facility to modern professional baseball standards. The renovations included the construction of a nine-foot-high berm around the outfield fence that provides flood protection for the park and a lawn seating area for fans. The newly-renovated stadium opened on April 29, 2004; the Swing defeated the Burlington Bees 1-0 in its first game.
The team's attendance record of 260,471 was set in 1994.
2003 Quad City River Bandits Souvenir Program
Dinda, J. (2003), "Davenport, Iowa, in the Midwest League," http://www.mwlguide.com/cities/davenport/index.html
Swing of the Quad Cities web site (http://www.swingbaseball.com)
Categories: Minor league baseball teams | Iowa sports
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m