Super Dollfie is a ball-jointed doll (BJD) first manufactured by Volks, a Japanese doll company. Popularity is due to their personalities and appealing appearance, as well as quality manufacture. The dolls are anatomically correct, about 22 inches/57~60cm in height, strung together by thick elastic and are made of polyurethane resin. Super Dollfies (SD) are highly customizable - wigs, eyes, face paint, and even hands, feet, heads and other body parts may be changed, if desired. A Super Dollfie ball-jointed doll: Nono 10, Juniper. ...
Volks has since then introduced many different types of Super Dollfie, including the child-like "younger sibling" Mini Super Dollfie (MSD) circa 2000 and a more mature Super Dollfie 13 (SD13). In 2004, Volks introduced Super Dollfie Cute (SDC) and Yo-SD . Volks has also produced a curvier and less expensive vinyl counterpart of SD/SD13, Dollfie Dream. ImageMetadata File history File links Super-dollfie-nono10-juniper. ...
ImageMetadata File history File links Super-dollfie-nono10-juniper. ...
The latest edition to the Super Dollfie family is the SD16. Currently a boy and girl body have been released. Both bodies are much more mature in looks, taller, and have a more complex joint system, than that of the SD13 dolls. The SD16 girl has solid high-heeled lower legs. Rather than a ball joint at the ankle, the default legs are sculpted in a "high heeled" shoe position. An optional lower leg with a traditional jointed ankle has been created for this body as well.
The Sei-Tenshi, or Spirit Angels, are the second-smallest dolls and can only be won at special events such as Dolpa, a convention-like event that takes place several times a year in various cities in Japan, put on to promote the products put out by Volks, inc. especially Super Dollfies.
Rei-Tenshi are the smallest and newest doll type released by Volks. Standing at 10 cm tall, they were released for the first time during the Huis Ten Bosch Tour on February 22-23, 2007. Much like the Sei-Tenshi, these minute dolls are presented as gifts or won at special events. They are distinguished from the Sei-Tenshi by their slightly smaller size, their thumb-sucking mouth, and their lack of ball joints at the elbows, knees and wrists. They also do not have the waist joint.
In addition to the standard, assembled models, Super Dollfie buyers can also create a customized doll through the Full Choice System (FCS), a service available at "Tenshi no Sumika" Volks stores. Through FCS, the buyer chooses various options from head mold, eye colour, wig colour, eyelash colour, hand type, body type, 'skin tone' colour (fresh / snow / sunlight), and face up style among other options and have it assembled by Volks. This process takes approximately one to two months and is available from the Tenshi no Sumikas in Japan, Korea and the United States.
The introduction of Super Dollfies has led to the creation of an increasing number of other BJD companies, most of them based in South Korea. The number of companies has grown rapidly since 2003,
The term "dollfie" is a contraction of "doll figure".
Super Dollfie - Brief History
The first Super Dollfie was sculpted by master sculptor at Zoukeimura, Akihiro Enku and was the Standard SD 'Four Sisters' head (Kira, Nana, Sara & Megu). These four dolls had the same head mold and face paint, but different default plastic eyes and distinctive wigs. These first generation SD bodies were beautifully sculpted with a lot of attention to detail and rather obvious 'ball-joints'. SD13 girls were introduced in December 2001 with improved bodies and less obvious joints.
In Spring 2003, Volks released a new 'skin type' (resin mixture) of the dolls called "Pure Skin". Pure Skin (PS) has a fresher, healthier tone that looks translucent in pictures especially and feels different to touch. This new skin tone was pioneered by dolls like SD13 Tachibana Shirou and SD Anais. The body is improved even further with better posture and various other changes. In the same year, one change was made to the new PS body which was the knee shape as there were some complaints about how it looked. During the change, Volks phased out production of "old skin" dolls gradually and move to Pure Skin. Most previous standard editions were discontinued and then re released again in Pure Skin.
As for the FCS system, it was revamped in 2004 and the new FCS system was put into place with new head molds, bodies and implemented the MSD FCS which was previously unavailable. Tenshi no Sato's (Volks headquarters + SD museum) FCS has its own exclusive FCS head molds and the Pure Skin tone colour of "Sunlight" (tan). Volks then brought forth SD Cute and Yo-SD.
Model names in italic have ceased production on 22 October 2004. They are highly sought in the secondary market.
Volks Super Dollfie Models
'Super Dollfie' refers to a specific brand of doll produced by Volks, while 'Dollfie' (without the super) refers to a 27cm Volks doll comparable to Barbie. It is a common mistake to refer to all comparable dolls as 'Dollfies'. The correct blanket term for these dolls is Asian Ball-Jointed Doll (ABJD). Dollfie is a 1:6 scale (27 cm or 11 inches tall) vinyl doll that is produced by Volks Inc. ...
Barbie is a best-selling doll launched at the American International Toy Fair on March 9, 1959. ...
A Super Dollfie ball-jointed doll: Nono 10, Juniper. ...
Other popular brands of ABJDs, made after the Volks line of Super Dollfies, include Cerberus Project Delf, Customhouse AI, Dream of Doll, Soul Doll, Soom, Dollshe, Elfdoll's Rainy Doll, Jollyplus, NARIN DOLLS and Domuya O N E, among others. Elfdoll is a manufacturer of resin ball-jointed dolls (BJDs) located in South Korea. ...
Ryung Rainy Doll Rainy Dolls are a brand of 60cm resin ball-jointed doll (BJDs) made in South Korea by a company called Elfdoll. ...
- SD New Body Version/Pure Skin Body: Kun, Megu, Sara, Nana, Nono, Mimi, Ryo (凌),
- SD New Make-up Version: Kira, Megu, Mimi, Nana, Nono, Rio, Sara
- SD Standard Model: Kira, Nana, Megu, Sara, Nono, Mimi, Rio, Ryo (凌),
- Limited SD : Shiratori, Byakuren, Kikyou, Megu Beauty White Hakama, Megu, Megu Taisho Romance, Nono Miko Sugata, Nono Snow, Nono "otona ni naru hi", Rio China, Leona, Kira Baby the Stars Shine Bright, Kira Atelier Pierrot, Nono Volks Original "V", Sara Black Peace Now, Nana Black Peace Now, Nana School, Nono School, Mimi School, Sasya, Mika, Aya, Nono Sweet Dream, Nana Sweet Dream, Chi, Anais, Rhia, Nono Xmas, Mimi Xmas, Nono Sweet Dream ver. 2, Lady Sylvie, Fukuzawa Yumi, Nono Sweet Dream ES, Nana Sweet Dream Beauty White, Ryugasaki Momoko, Anais ver. 2, Kun, Liz, Mimi Sweet Dream, Mai, Tae, Carol, Sweet Brother Michael, Ginza Michael, Dolpa 8 ver. Michael, Yami no Kikoushi - Lalaport Michael, Ken, Ryo Xmas, Licht, Michele, Ushiwakamaru, Magical Michael, Shinku (真紅), Carol (キャロル), Kira Sweet Dream ver. (キラ スウィートドリーム), Nana Sweet Dream ver. (ナナ スウィートドリーム), Kurumi
Super Dollfie 13
- SD13 New Body Version: Link, Mimi, Show (翔), Yori,
- SD13 Standard Model: Kira, Megu, Nana, Sara, Nono, Show (翔)
- Limited SD13 : Sakaki, D, Madoka Western Dress, Madoka Japanese Dress, Ogasawara Sachiko, Cyndy, Yori Limited, Tachibana Jun, Cyndy ver. 2, Shizu, Emma, Lucas, Chris, Lucas in Piccadilly Circus, Chris in Montparnasse, Lucas Hiroshima, Chris Hiroshima, Cecile, Tachibana Shirou, Captain Cecile, Kai, Lucas Sweet Dream, Lucas Sweet Dream Korean Dolpa, Konoe Tsukasa, Tohya, Nanjou Isao, Link Limited, Nanjou Isao ver. 2, Kohya, Tohya ver. 2, Heath, Tony, Black Cat Lucas, White Cat Chris, Show Sweet Dream ver., Cecile the Scarface Ocean of Deep Black ver., Williams
Mini Super Dollfie
Mini Super Dollfies can come either assembled or in assembly kit form.
- MSD Pure Skin Body Version: Hisui, Ken (健), Kohaku, Magie, Mika (美加), Myu, Sakura
- MSD Standard Model: Ken, Magie, Mario, Marry, Myu, Myu Sweet Dream, Sakura
- MSD Fairy Model: Misia, Nasia, Shinsiya
- Limited MSD : Tsubaki, Yuri, Asami, Elza, Sundy, Mika, Myu Sweet Dream, Yuni, Mika Beauty White, Elsie, Phyllis, Lilith, Yuni suwarikko ver., Hisui, Midori, Nagisa, Mika Sweet Dream, Maria, Toppi, Midori ver. 2, Akira, Ken, Hewitt, Enn, Noel, Kohaku, Schulze, Hewitt ver. 2, Manabu
Super Dollfie Cute
- Limited SDC : Kaede, Kurenai, Arashi, Ren, Miko, Kurt, Sweet Dream Kaede.
Super Dollfie Yo-SD / Yo-Tenshi
- Limited Yo-SD : Suzuna, Rengemaru, Suzuna Sweet Dream, Rengemaru Sweet Dream, Piccolo, Anne, Tinatsu/Chinatsu, Kuuta, Anne Sweet Dream, Piccolo Sweet Dream, Papi, Puff
- Limited Yo-Tenshi : Yuki, Kasumi, Yuh, Mamu
Super Dollfie 16
Boy Height: 65cm
Girl height: 63.5 cm
- Limited SD16 boy: Yukinojo Sawaragi.
- Limited SD16 girls: Olivia Morgan, Amelia