FACTOID # 15: A mere 0.8% of West Virginians were born in a foreign country.
 
 Home   Encyclopedia   Statistics   States A-Z   Flags   Maps   FAQ   About 
   
 
WHAT'S NEW
 

SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 

 

(* = Graphable)

 

 


Encyclopedia > Straffan
Straffan
Teach Srafáin
Location
WGS-84 (GPS) Coordinates:
53°18′N 6°36′W / 53.3, -6.6
Statistics
Province: Leinster
County: County Kildare
Elevation: 70 m
Population (2006)
 - Town:
 - Rural:
 
c.500 
1,453

Straffan is a village in County Kildare, Republic of Ireland, situated on the banks of the River Liffey 25km upstream from the Irish capital Dublin. With a population of 439 (census of 2006) it is the 31st most populous centre in County Kildare. The population increased by 32.2pc in the four years since the previous census of 2002. It is also an electoral division within Celbridge Number 1 rural area. At one time a separate parish, it is joined to the parish of Celbridge (RC) and Celbridge and Newcastle (CofI) in the Diocese of Dublin. Bullet for locations in Ireland, displays location and not area. ... Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. ... The Global Positioning System (GPS) is the only fully functional Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS). ... When under Gaelic rule, Ireland was divided into provinces to replace the earlier system of the túatha. ... Statistics Area: 19,774. ... For much of its history, the island of Ireland was divided into 32 counties (Irish language contae or condae, pronounced IPA: ). Two historical counties, County Desmond and County Coleraine, no longer exist. ... Statistics Province: Leinster County Town: Naas Code: KE Area: 1,693 km² Population (2006) 186,075 Website: www. ... Basic Definition In geography, the elevation of a geographic location is its height above mean sea level (or some other fixed point). ... Statistics Province: Leinster County Town: Naas Code: KE Area: 1,693 km² Population (2006) 186,075 Website: www. ... The Liffey in West Wicklow The Liffey (An Life in Irish) is a river in the Republic of Ireland, which flows through the centre of Dublin. ... Dublin city centre at night WGS-84 (GPS) Coordinates: , Statistics Province: Leinster County: Dáil Éireann: Dublin Central, Dublin North Central, Dublin North East, Dublin North West, Dublin South Central, Dublin South East European Parliament: Dublin Dialling Code: +353 1 Postal District(s): D1-24, D6W Area: 114. ... Statistics Province: Leinster County Town: Naas Code: KE Area: 1,693 km² Population (2006) 186,075 Website: www. ... WGS-84 (GPS) Coordinates: 53. ... // Newcastle refers primarily to the following places: Newcastle upon Tyne, England Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia Newcastle (or New Castle) can refer to the following places: Newcastle, New South Wales Division of Newcastle, an electoral district in the Australian House of Representatives, in New South Wales, located around the city. ...


The contemporary village is concentrated around two crossroads on which are situated a Catholic church and Church of Ireland respectively. Development which evolved through the building of estate houses (1880), land commission cottages (1922-39), the Murray local authority cottages (1949), and five estates, Lodge Park (1970), Coarse Moor (1976), The Glebe (1985), The Beeches (2006) and Barton Grove (2007) is set to increase in pace in the coming years when large housing estates are developed on two allotments to the north of the village. Four developments also took place on the grounds of the K Club in the 2000-04 period, Ryder Cup Village, the Courtyard, Churchfields and Ladycastle. A planning application has been lodged with Kildare County Council (2007) to develop a separate town to the south west at Turnings. Kildare County Council is the local authority for County Kildare, founded by the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 along with the other councils of Ireland. ... This article is about a lathe as a tool. ...


Straffan is situated at a particularly low lying point in the Liffey valley and is surrounded by flood meadows along the Liffey and River Morell. Agriculture is important to the local economy. Since the 1700s Straffan farmers have been prominent improving agriculturalists and prominent in the prize lists at events run by the Royal Dublin Society. The research station for the Agriculture department of University College Dublin is situated at nearby Lyons Hill. As with the rest of Co Kildare, racehorse breeding and training is a prominent local activity. In the 1920s Straffan Station stud was the leading horse breeding stud in the country when owned by Edward “Cub’ Kennedy. The Royal Dublin Society (RDS) was founded in 1731 by members of the Dublin Philosophical Society in their Trinity College Dublin rooms as the Dublin Society. ... University College Dublin - National University of Ireland, Dublin - more commonly University College Dublin (UCD) - is Irelands largest university, with over 20,000 students. ... Lyons is a hill, a former parish and town, and now part of the community of Ardclough in north Kildare. ...


Straffan is home to the Kildare Country Club, commonly known as the K Club, and its two championship courses which have staged major international events such as the European Open (annually since 1995), and the Ryder Cup tournament between Europe and the USA in 2006. The Kildare Hotel and Golf Club (usually referred to as the K Club) is a golf and leisure complex located at Straffan, County Kildare, Republic of Ireland. ... The European Open is a professional snooker tournament. ... The Ryder Cup is a golf trophy contested biennially in an event officially called the Ryder Cup Matches by teams from Europe and the United States. ...

Contents

Etymology

The name 'Straffan' has an interesting etymological history. The town is named for St Srafán, whose feast day in the Martyrology of Tallaght was May 23rd. Straffan was also one of 300 Irish locations accorded its own place-legend in Dinnshenchas Érenn (Metrical (ed. Edward Gwynn 1924) iv, pp328-331). It consisted of a poem Lumman Tige Srafain, about a warrior who possessed a wonderful shield, Lumman of the title, and who, according to the poem, died of his wounds at Tech Srafáin. Two forms of the name cited in the tale, Tech Srafáin and Tige Srafáin, are Middle Irish nominative and genitive case forms. The spelling Strafáin, with a -t-, is unusual. Straphan or Straffan is a shortened anglicised form of the original Irish Teach Srafáin (the initial Str- is the usual development of Irish Sr in English), "teach", meaning house.. The Dinsenchas (various spellings) is onomastic literature from medieval Ireland and consists of relatively short poems which describe how places in around the country were named. ...


The second Irish name of the town - "An Cluanini", means "little meadows". The story goes that St. Srafán, upon his arrival to the village, noted the smaller size fields in comparison to those of his native Tallaght and gave the town the name.


Dinnshenchas Érenn, probably composed by Cináed Ua Hartacáin (d975), also selected the nearby Cnoch Liamhna for mention as one of the “assemblies and noted places in Ireland” , an indication of the strength of the local ruling family, the Uí Dúnchada branch of the Uí Dúnlainge who supplied ten kings of Leinster from their base on nearby Lyons Hill between 750-1050. The introduction to this article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject matter. ... The following is a provisional list of the Kings of Leinster up to 1632. ... Lyons is a hill, a former parish and town, and now part of the community of Ardclough in north Kildare. ...


Sruthán (stream) was mistakenly cited by Thomas O'Connor in the Ordnance Survey Letters in 1837.and adopted as the Irish form of Straffan. Seosamh Laoide used it in his list of Irish names of post-offices published in Post-Sheanchas (1905). An Sruthán gained currency among those involved in the Irish revival and was promoted as name in the local schools. Recent research by Domhnall mac Gilla Easpaig declares it “completely at odds with the written evidence cited above and with local pronunciation and appears to be no more than an ad hoc explanation of the name by O'Connor's informant.” Sruthán is anglicised struffaun in some parts of the country. One would not expect to find it rendered thus in the Straffan area.” Thomas Power OConnor (or Tay Pay) (5 October 1848 - 18 November 1929) was a journalist and an Irish nationalist and political figure. ... Part of an Ordnance Survey map at 1 inch to the mile scale from 1945 Ordnance Survey (OS) is an executive agency of the United Kingdom government. ...


To add to the confusion the Post Office Guide published by the Department of Posts and Telegraphs 1937 gives the Irish form Cluainíní for Straffan, as cited by Seosamh Laoide. An Comisiún Logainmneacha proposed the form Na Cluainíní as the Irish form of Straffan Station in the provisional list of the Irish names of postal towns Ainmneacha Gaeilge na mBailte Poist i gCuige Laighean, Liosta Sealadach (1964). It was changed to Teach Strafan in 1982 Post Office Guide.


Adding further to the confusion was the anomaly, which was corrected in the last five years, of the road signs on the three major roads leading into the village showing the three different names.


Notable sites and buildings

Today Straffan contains Catholic and Church of Ireland churches, a newsagent, a butchers', two pubs, the Straffan Inn and Friel's, a gaelic football club, a soccer club and a primary school, Scoil Bhríde (present building constructed in 1963). The heritage of the area is reflected in the fact that fifty sites of archaeological and cultural interest in the locality have been identified and listed for preservation by Kildare County Council, ranging from an ancient hill fort and round tower to the 1913 Lych Gate to the graveyard which has been adopted as the symbol of the village. The Church of Ireland (Irish: ) is an autonomous province of the Anglican Communion, operating seamlessly across the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. ... A newsstand, known as a newsagents in countries using British English, is a small business that sells newspapers, magazines, snacks and often items of local interest such as postcards and clothing emblazoned with sports team mascots. ... Categories: Stub | Cooking | Food preparation and serving related occupations | Food preparation occupations ... An amusingly named pub (the Old New Inn) at Bourton-on-the-Water, in the Cotswold Hills of South West England A pub in the Haymarket area of Edinburgh, Scotland A public house, usually known as a pub, is a drinking establishment found mainly in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada... Gaelic football (Irish: Peil or Caid ), commonly referred to as football, Gaelic or GAA (gah), is a form of football played mainly in Ireland. ... This is a partial list of association football (soccer) teams from all over the world sorted by home country. ... Year 1963 (MCMLXIII) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar. ... Statistics Province: Leinster County Town: Naas Code: KE Area: 1,693 km² Population (2006) 186,075 Website: www. ...


Local commercial visitor attractions include the Steam Museum at Lodge Park, a Butterfly farm and Morell Farm (did not open for 2007 season).


Churches

Local ecclesiastical sites prospered at different times, The medieval parish of Straffan lies on the border of the Diocese of Dublin (boundaries established 1111), to the south of Tagahdoe Parish (Teach Tua), bounded on the west by Mainham, south by Bodenstown and Whitechurch, and east by Killadoon and Castledillon. Ecclesiastical sources refer to Straphan (Register of the Hospital of St. John the Baptist 1245, the Calendar of Justiciary Rolls 1306 and the Regal Visitation 1530 which describes Straffan as 'a church of the deanery of Saltu Salmonis. In 1541 Straffan was untied with Castledillon, Donacumper and Kildrought.


The last Catholic Parish Priest of Castledillon died in 1707 after which the parish was joined with Straffan. Straffan parish is now joined to Celbridge.


Straffan’s ruined parish church in the graveyard at the centre of the village can be dated to the 15th century from its distinctive bell cote, and defensive living quarters over the main building in the manner of Oughterard and other local churches. The Church of Ireland (1833) has stained glass windows by Alfred Child and Catherine O’Brien and several monuments to the Barton family. It was modeled on churches in France. The Catholic church (1787, rebuilt 1987) was also the site of the national school until 1963. It is part of Straffan’s proud ecumenical tradition that the Catholic community used the Church of Ireland while their own church was undergoing reconstruction.


A well and stone roofed chapel at Ardrass (restored 1898) are associated with St Patrick. The hill was a place of pilgrimage until the 19th century.


Castledillon, situated on the south bank of the River Liffey opposite Straffan, is an ancient monastic site in tits own right founded by Iollathan of the desert (feast day is listed as 2nd Feb in the Martyrology of Tallaght) and accorded a genealogy which indicated close kinship with the Ui Dunglainge kings of Leinster. By 1294 the church of Tristeyldelane was described as “not worth the services of chaplains” in the Calendar of Christ Church deeds. The site is now identified by a pile of stones and one headstone, erected in 1758 to the Spellissy family. The Castledillon Friars Stone, probably erected for a 15th century abbot of St Wolstan’s (four miles to the east), remained on the site until removed to the Visitor centre in Kildare town.


Castles and Houses

The nearby tower house of Castledillon passed to the de Hereford and Rochford families (1359) until it too fell into disrepair – now only the foundations remain.


A Wogan family tower house “in the north part of Richardstown townland” described as “a square building about 60 feet in height' by Thomas O’Conor in 1837 is now reduced to a pile of stones and mortar which has obviously been moved from its original location.


Barberstown Castle was more fortunate. Its battlemented keep is a prominent landmark on the Celbridge to Clane road, 50 feet at its greatest height with walls four and a half feet thick, two small towers, a 53 step staircase and some evidence of damage in the war of 1641. Originally built by Nicholas Barby in the13th century, it passed to the Penkistons in the 14th century, Suttons in the 15th century, the Gaynors who built the Elizabethan House in the 16th century, to Katherine Dillon and Lord Kingston in the 17th century, Bartholmew Van Homreigh in the 18th century and Hugh Barton who built the castle roof and added the Victorian House in the 19th century. It is now a hotel and wedding venue. Lyons Castle mentioned in the 1332 Book of Howth when it was burned by the O’Tooles, passed to the Tyrrell in the 1200s, the Aylmer family in 1271 and to the Lawless family, Barons Cloncurry in 1796 after which they built the nearby house, substantially rebuilt and refurbished by Valentine Lawless, the second Baron Cloncurry 1803-10... Lodge Park was designed by Nathaniel Clements for Hugh Henry, a Palladian house unusual for its four wings. The story was already current in the early 19th century that when Henry married the daughter of Earl of Milltown he promised her frontage as long as Russborough. Nathaniel Clements (1705–1777) was an Irish politician and financial figure, important in the political and financial administration of Ireland in the mid-18th century. ... Irish Palladianism. ...


The townland known variously in the calendar Rolls as Surning, Twinings, Surnyng and eventually known as Turnings passed in to the ownership of Thomas Hall (1406), William Preston (1508), Patrick Sarsfield (1560), Theophilus Jones (1641) and eventually passed to the Mills family. Patrick Sarsfield (d. ...


Straffan Lodge, described by Samuel Lewis in 1837 as “the neat residence of Mrs Whitelaw” is noted for its dining room decorated Tudor style with oak panels. Itssingle storey wing was added later. Samual Lewis (October 18, 1896 - January 2, 1971) was an American mystic and dance teacher who founded the Dances of Universal Peace movement. ...


Political and Social History

The area was ravaged in the wars of 1641-2. The Lords of the Pale who allied with Rory O'More in1642 included Nicholas Wogan of Rathcoffey (one of the Council of War), Andrew Aylmer of Donadea, Nicholas Sutton of Barberstown, John Gaydon of lrishtown (whose estate included the present Straffan), Garret Sutton of Richardstown and James Eustace of Clongowes. In 1641 Lyons Castle was taken and sacked on the orders of the new LJs William Parsons and John Borlase and two castles belonging to Edward Tipper of Tipperstown burned Colonel Rory OMoore (b. ...


When James Butler Earl of Ormond marched into Kildare in 1642 he burned Lyons, Newcastle and Oughterard on February 1st 1642. James Butler James Butler - army officer James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde James Butler, 2nd Duke of Ormonde James Armar Butler - army officer James Edward Butler - French army officer Sir James Ramsay Montagu Butler - historian This is a disambiguation page — a navigational aid which lists other pages that might...


General George Monck landed in Dublin in February 1642 for the parliamentarians and camped in Straffan (the horses field at Ardrass is named as his camp). Rathcoffey was besieged and taken by Monck in June 1642, 70 of the garrison made prisoners and later executed in Dublin. During the campaign Kildare county was burned “for 17 miles in length and 25 in breadth.” [[William Petty]’s Census of 1659 recorded “Barbiestowne” with 36 people and Straffan with 23 people, surnames among them included Byrne, Kelly, Doyle, Malone and Murphy. George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle by Sir Peter Lely, painted 1665–1666. ...


According to depositions taken after the battle of Ovidstown a party of 1798 Rebels met at Straffan Bridge including Patrick O’Connor ‘a lawyer from Straffan’. and s pent some time in stables of Straffan Lodge (June 18). In 1803 Straffan men marched to Dublin to join Emmett’s rebellion, while Barney Daly’s pub in Baronrath was used as a rendez-vous.


Local landowner Valentine Lawless, later the second Baron Cloncurry, was sworn in to United Irishmen by James O’Coigly. He was elected colonel of United Irishmen in Kildare, was the last proprietor of ‘The Press’ (United Irish newspaper) and became the United Irish organiser in London until his arrest and detention in the Tower of London. He was also related to Robert Emmet and according to Emmet’s biographer Ruan O’Donnell provided a link between 1798 and 1803, waiting in Paris for word of success of the rebellion and was to be member of Emmet government. O’Donnell describes as “disingenuous” Lawless’s 1857 account of how he had pleaded with Emmett not to return to Dublin. The Sammon family form Straffan and the Pitts family from Bishopscourt were listed among the rebels. Valentine Lawless Valentine Lawless the second Lord Cloncurry, was an Irish politician and landowner. ... The Society of the United Irishmen was a political organisation in eighteenth century Ireland that sought independence from Great Britain. ... Robert Emmet Robert Emmet (4 March 1780 - 20 September 1803) was an Irish nationalist rebel leader. ...


On 22nd January 1812 100 persons assembled at night with carts for the purpose of retrieving hay which ahd been seized in lieu of rent. Leading to a confrontation during which Patrick King was shot dead. As a result of the incident, a request was made to have the military at Celbridge strengthened. Eventually in 1871 a neo-gothic RIC barracks was built in the village with distinctive gun turrets designed to repel invading Fenians. The barracks was vacated and passed in to private hands in March 1905. Fenian is a term used since the 1860s for an Irish nationalist who espouses violence, usually by people opposed to their aims. ...


Straffan Rail Tragedy

Straffan was the scene of a railway accident on October 5 1853 in which 18 people died including four children. It remains the third worst accident in Irish rail history. A goods train ran in to the back of a stalled passenger train in heavy fog at a point 974 yards south of Straffan station. The impact was felt by the first class carriage, which was driven a quarter of a mile through station. A nephew of Irish political leader Daniel O’Connell, Daniel McSwiney, was among the dead. After an inquiry which put the blame on a railway employee who had been asked to flag down the approaching goods train, £27,000 compensation was paid to victims, the equivalent of €2.37m today The tragedy was the subject of a poem by William Allingham ((1824-1889). Straffan station was last used for scheduled services in 1947 and the last special train stopped at Straffan in 1963. Daniel OConnell Daniel OConnell (August 6, 1776 – May 15, 1847), known as The Liberator or The Emancipator, was Irelands predominant politician in the first half of the nineteenth century. ...


Straffan Steam Museum

The Straffan Steam Museum is now housed in a church which once stood in the Inchicore railway works in Dublin. The Museum has a fine collection of models of steam locomotives, including two used in the late 19th century by the Great Northern Railway. It also displays a large selection of steam engines used for industrial propulsion, including a huge beam engine used in the Midleton whiskey distillery in County Cork, a pumping engine employed in Jameson's distillery in Dublin, and a large beam engine installed in Smithwick's brewery, Kilkenny, in 1847. The Museum is open to visitors from Wednesdays to Sundays during the summer, from 2pm to 6pm. WGS-84 (GPS) Coordinates: , Irish Grid Reference W879736 Statistics Province: Munster County: Elevation: 47 m (154 ft) Population (2006)  - Town:  - Rural:   3,914  6,422 Website: www. ... WGS-84 (GPS) Coordinates: 52. ...


War of Independence & The Troubles

A National League branch for Celbridge and Straffan was established on Sept 24 1887. Bertram H Barton was a member of the Unionist party and instigator of a sedition charge against the Principal of Ardclough school in 1917. Straffan casualties in the First world war included James Cash, (died May 27, 1918.), D.A. Carden, (September 4, 1915), l Thomas Goucher, (January 22, 1918). Ronald B.C Kennedy (died of illness August 18, 1917), G Kinahan, (October 14, 1916), William Lawless (September 15, 1917), and Peter McLeish, (January 21, 1918). Francie Sammon was a civilian casualty in the Easter Rising of 1916. The National League of Professional Baseball Clubs, or simply the National League, is the older of two leagues constituting Major League Baseball in the United States and Canada and the worlds oldest extant professional team sports league. ...


A branch of the Irish National Volunteers was formed in Straffan in 1914. The St Anne's Brass Band from Ardclough played at the Bodenstown commemoration in 1914 at which Thomas Clarke spoke. In February 1917 a Company was reformed in Straffan and a branch of Sinn Féin formed in 1918. Volunteers planned to bomb the bridge at Straffan but the plan was aborted. Telephone wires were destroyed at Bishopscourt and Straffan volunteers took part in the ambush at Stacumny on 5 July 1921. Prominent local volunteers included John Logie, Tom Cornelia, James Travers and John McSweeney. During the Civil war the barnewall homesteasd near the 13th Lock in Lyons was the North Kildare brigade headquarters for the anti-treaty IRA. The Irish Volunteers (Óglaigh na hÉireann) were a paramilitary organization established by Irish Nationalists in 1913 to secure and maintain the rights and liberties common to the whole people of Ireland, and to enforce the imminent Home Rule Act. ... Ardclough is a village and community in County Kildare, Ireland. ... Bodenstown is a small village near Sallins in county Kildare in the eastern Ireland. ... A Professor of Management at the University of Technology, Sydney, Australia. ... For pre-Arthur Griffith use of the political name, see Sinn Féin (19th century). ... East Melbourne is an inner city suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. ...


On 22 June 1975 a local man Christopher Phelan was murdered when he delayed an attempt to derail a train passing on the main Dublin to Cork railway line by unidentified paramilitaries near Baronrath bridge. His intervention saved the lives of 200 people on the train as it delayed the detonation of the bomb which blew a 3-foot gap in the track. The incident is the subject of an ongoing investigation into “deniable” British army activities in conjunction with Northern Ireland based paramilitaries.


On March 31 1976 the biggest train robbery in Irish history took place at Wheatfield. Eight men in fluorescent jackets used emergency signals to stop the mail train bound from Cork to Dublin and escaped with £600,000 in small denomination notes. The incident became the centre of a celebrated miscarriage of justice case, known mistakenly as the Sallins Train Robbery case after the nearest rail station then open, when three men were wrongly convicted of the robbery. The Sallins Train Robbery occurred on 31 March 1976 when the Cork to Dublin mail train was robbed near Sallins in County Kildare, Republic of Ireland. ...


Straffan Estate and Its Owners

In 1171 Trachstraphli was granted to Maurice Fitzgerald by Richard de Clare (Strongbow). In c1185 -1189 Gerald Fitzgerald was accorded “Trachstraphli” in the Red Book of the Earls of Kildare (Ed. G. Mac Niocaill, Dublin, 1964). In 1288 Sir John Fannyn conveyed Straffan and Ballespaddagh (Irishtown) to Richard Le Penkiston on a deed witnessed by Richard de la Salle, John Posswick and Nicholas Barby, each of whom gave their names to surrounding townlands, Sealstown (de la Salle), Possextown (Posswick) and Barberstown (Barby). In 1473 Suttons held the land as tenants and the land passed to John Gaydon (1490), Thomas Boules (1653), Richard Talbot (1679), John White (1691), Robert Delap (1717) and Dublin Banker Hugh Henry who purchased the house for £2,200 in 1731. Richard fits Gilbert de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (c. ... Richard Talbot, Earl of Tyrconnel Richard Talbot, 1st Earl of Tyrconnel (1630 – 14 August 1691), the youngest of sixteen children of Sir William Talbot, Bart. ...


The Henry Family

Hugh Henry who was MP for Limavady 1713 and Antrim 1727-43 built a house which resembled Oakley Park in Celbridge. Another Hugh Henry (a nephew) built Lodge Park in 1775. His son Joseph Henry matriculated from Trinity College at 13, inherited the house in 1749, and became MP for Longford 1761-68, Joseph Henry is featured in many of the caricatures painted by William Hogarth and on display in the National Gallery of Ireland. His son John Joseph Henry gave the site for Straffan Catholic church in 1787. At the request of Valentine Lawless, Henry subscribed £500 for defence of Armagh rebel priest James O’Coigly. In 1801 he married Lady Emily Fitzgerald a daughter of the Duke of Leinster. According to a commentator of the time “owing to his extravagance from one of the richest commoners in Ireland he became so embarrassed that he was obliged to sell Straffan and live abroad. Among other foolish things he built an underground passage from Straffan House to the stables.” A Benjamin Hallam design for proposed extension to house from 1808 survives, but the house accidentally burned and the Henry family settled in France. William Hogarth (November 10, 1697 – October 26, 1764) was a major English painter, printmaker, pictorial satirist, and editorial cartoonist who has been credited as a pioneer in western sequential art. ... The National Gallery of Ireland houses the Irish national collection of Irish and European art. ... Valentine Lawless Valentine Lawless the second Lord Cloncurry, was an Irish politician and landowner. ...


The Barton Family

Hugh Barton purchased and built a new house (1828-31, designed by Frederick Darley) slightly downriver from the Henry’s burned out home. Twenty years later an attic added and a distinctive mansard roof, the stacks raised and embellished in French style. An Italian style campanile tower with gilded vane was added later. The refurbished house was based on a chateau at Louveciennes. Sir Frederick Matthew Darley, GCMG, PC, (18 September 1830 – 4 January 1910) was the sixth Chief Justice of New South Wales, an eminent barrister, a member of the New South Wales Parliament, a lieutenant-governor of New South Wales, and a member of the British Privy Council. ... Louveciennes is a village and commune in the Yvelines département, in France, in the western suburbs of Paris, between Versailles and Saint-Germain-en-Laye, and adjacent to Marly-le-Roi. ...


Hugh Barton (1766-1854) was in turn succeeded by Nathaniel Barton (1799-1867), Hugh Lyndoch Barton (1824-1899), Bertram Francis Barton (1830-1904), Bertram Hugh Barton (1858-1927) and Capt Frederick (Derick) Barton (1900-1993). The first five generations of Bartons owned both the estate at Straffan and the family’s 37-hectacre vineyard in St Julien near the Gironde north of Bordeaux, producers of Chateau Leoville-Barton. On his death Bertram Barton left the Straffan estate to his eldest son Derrick and the Bordeaux estate to his second son Ronald Barton. Anthony Barton moved to St Julien in 1951 and took over the vineyard on the death of Ronald in 1986. The Barton dynasty is believed to be the longest period of single family ownership of any vineyard in Bordeaux. Barton is an archaic English language word meaning lands of the manor or meadow and may refer to several places or people: Places Australia: Barton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Division of Barton, an electoral district in the Australian House of Representatives, in New South Wales. ... Saint-Julien is the name of several communes in France: Saint-Julien, in the C te-dOr d partement Saint-Julien, in the C tes-dArmor d partement Saint-Julien, in the Haute-Garonne d partement Saint-Julien, in the H rault d partement Saint-Julien, in the...


The K Club

On the death of Bertram Barton in a hunting accident in 1927 the scale of the losses on the estate, £4,000 per year, became apparent. The staff of 50 outdoor and 16 indoor employees was unsustainable. Derrick Barton laid off most of the staff and demolished part of the house before selling the house and estate for £15,000 to motorcycle manufacturer John Ellis in 1949. Derrick Barton moved to Straffan Glebe House for a time. The last five private owners of Straffan House followed in quick succession: car importer Stephen O’Flaherty (1960), film producer Kevin McClory (1973), Iranian air force founder and minister in the Shah’s government Nadar Djhanbani (1977, shortly before the downfall of the Shah’s government and his execution), developer Patrick Gallagher (1979) and property magnate Alan Ferguson (1981) who invested £6m in Straffan House but never lived there. Kevin ODonovan McClory (b. ... Patrick (Paddy) Gallagher (born 1 December 1946) is a former Sinn Féin the Workers Party, Workers Party of Ireland and Democratic Left politician who sat in Dáil Éireann for the constituency of Waterford from 9 March 1982 to 4 November 1982. ... Alan Baird Ferguson (born 16 September 1943), Australian politician, has been a Liberal member of the Australian Senate since May 1992, representing South Australia. ...


Entrepreneur Michael Smurfit who was searching for a suitable old house and estate to develop as a country club recruited Ray Carroll, former manager at the Grosvenor Hotel in London to help with the task. Carroll recommended Straffan above seven other estates he had examined. In 1988 Straffan house was sold for £7m to the Jefferson Smurfit company for use as a golf course and hotel. A further £35m was spent developing the house as a hotel under a scheme negotiated with the government to produce 200 jobs in return for tax breaks for investors. In 1991 Straffan was opened as a 31-bedroom hotel. In 2004 a wing was added to double the size of the hotel and a granite porch from Ballynegal Co Westmeath used to bring the two wings together. Sir Michael Smurfit, KBE, LL.D (Honourary), (born 1936 in St Helens, Lancashire, England) is a businessman holding dual Irish and British citizenship. ...


Straffan put in its first bid to host the Ryder Cup in 1988, before the course had even been built, for the 1993 event. In 1990 the north course, designed by Arnold Palmer, was completed. Straffan staged the PGA cup in 1991 and Irish professional Championship in 1992. As a result of a £1 million sponsorship offer form the Smurfit Group, the European Open moved its annual home from Walton Heath to Straffan in 1995. In 1999 Straffan’s bid for the Ryder Cup was eventually accepted by the European PGA. The tournament, staged in September 2006, proved to be the most profitable in the history of the tournament. The south course was completed in 2003 and used for the European Open of 2004. In 2002 Madison Dearborm took over the Jefferson Smurfit corporation and divested itself of the K Club. Michael Smurfit purchased the hotel and estate and acquired a further 80 acres on the opposite side of the river for €115m in 2004, with the support of property developer Gerry Gannon. To fund this expansion 81 housing units were developed on the course and sold for €2.5m each. Nationality  United States Birth September 10, 1929 (age 77) Latrobe, Pennsylvania Height 5 ft 10 in (1. ... The European Open is a professional snooker tournament. ...


Sport and Society

Horse breeding and training has an honourable history in the area. The Tetrarch, bred by Edward “Cub” Kennedy in 1908, never competed as a three year old but is still remembered in folklore as one of the best two year olds of all time. Christopher Barton won an Olympic silver medal in 1948 as part of an all-Cambridge eight which represented Britain in the Olympic Games. His father Derrick Barton was a member of the British Modern Pentathlon team which finished seventh in the team event at the 1924 Olympics. The Tetrarch (1911-1935) was an Irish-born Thoroughbred racehorse voted Britains greatest two-year-old of the 20th Century. ... Competitors in the final round of the Mens Modern Pentathlon pull for the finish line at the Goudi Sports Complex on August 26, 2004. ...


A Straffan resident David Ritchie laid out Ireland’s first golf course in the Curragh in 1852. There were estate cricket teams in both Straffan and Bishopscourt in 1880. David Ritchie (August 19, 1812–January 24, 1867) was a Whig, Opposition Party and Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania. ... The Curragh is a plain in County Kildare Ireland. ...


Straffan GAA club was described in 1934 as the cradle of the GAA in Kildare Straffan. JL Carews played Sallins In their first match on the same day, February 15 1885, that Maurice Davin’s first rules of Gaelic football were being agreed by GAA Central Council in Cork. The club’s best period followed their success in the 1966 Intermediate championship when they competed in the Kildare senior championship 1967-79. In that period Thomas Walsh played senior football for Kildare having won an All Ireland under-21 medal in 1965. Straffan is a prominent GAA club in County Kildare, significant in Kildare GAA history. ... WGS-84 (GPS) Coordinates: 53. ... Maurice Davin (1842 - 1927) was an Irish farmer who became co-founder of the Gaelic Athletic Association. ... This article is about Thomas Walsh, the Irish politician. ...


Currently Straffan has two teams competing in the Kildare Senior and Junior Football Leagues. For more information see Kildare Senior Club Football Championship or Kildare Senior Club Hurling Championship. ...


The annual Liffey Descent canoe race, (first staged 1960) starts annually in Straffan and follows the river Liffey 17 miles downstream to Islandbridge.


Straffan has a remarkable tradition of success in under-age chess due to the interest of recently retired Scoil Bride school principal Jack Hennigan. Paul Dempsey, Eoin Spring, Robert Kelly and Colm D’Rosario have all represented Ireland in world chess championships. Paul Dempsey (born 1976 in Melbourne) is the lead singer of Australian rock group Something for Kate. ... There are severable notable individuals named Robert Kelly: Robert Kelly, a U.S. naval officer during World War II. Robert Kelly, a U.S. Army intelligence officer. ...


Straffan People

The village is home to Emmet Stagg TD since 1987 and Minister of State for the Environment in the 1995-7 Rainbow coalition government. Local residents include horse trainer Tom Taaffe, airline founder Tony Ryan, Transport umbrella group chairman Jerry Kiersey, authors Mary O'Donnell, Cauvery Madhaven, Eoghan Corry, journalists Marie Carberry, Colm McGinty, Eamonn O'Molloy and Cathy Sheridan and rugby commentator Pat Geraghty. Businessmen who have homes in the K club’s four developments include property developers Seamus Ross, Gerry Gannon and Sean Mulryan, horse racing entrepreneurs John Magnier, Vincent O'Brien, Clem Murphy and Pat Keogh, Tom Coughlan of Wal-Mart, former supermarket executive Ben Dunne, Paddy McKillen of the Jervis Street shopping centre, John P Kennedy, developer of the Herbert Park Hotel, auctioneer Arthur French, Finn O'Sullivan of Irish Express Cargo, haulage entrepreneur Gerry Tyrrell. Paddy Wright, director of Anglo Irish Bank, Aidan Brady of Citibank Ireland, art supplies entrepreneurs Charles Kelly and Phyllis Kelly and Johnny Fortune of SmartForce. Emmet Stagg (b. ... Tom Taaffe is an Irish horse trainer based at Portree Stables, Boston, Straffan, (near Ardclough) in County Kildare. ... Dr. Tony Ryan (born 2 February 1936) is an Irish multi-millionaire and founder of Guinness Peat Aviation (GPA) and Ryanair. ... Eoghan Corry is a columnist, prolific author, mainly of sports history, and founder of the Gaelic Athletic Association Museum at Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland. ... John Magnier (born 1948) is Irelands leading thoroughbred stud owner and has extensive business interests outside of the horsebreeding industry. ... Vincent OBrien is a retired Irish race horse trainer. ... Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. ... This article or section does not cite its references or sources. ... Arthur French may refer to: Arthur French, 1st Baron de Freyne (1786–1856), United Kingdom Member of Parliament for Roscommon (1821–1832). ...


Listed Sites in the Area

  • Ardclough Catholic Church
  • Ardrass St Patrick's Chapel,
  • Ardrass St. Patrick’s Well,
  • Barberstown Castle
  • Bishopscourt House
  • Boston Settlement
  • Castledillon Castle
  • Castledillon Church Site And Graveyard
  • Castlewarden House
  • Castlewarden Medieval Earthwork Complex
  • Castlewarden Motte And Bailey
  • Castlewarden Rectangular Enclosure
  • Clonaghlis Church Site And Graveyard
  • Clownings Rectilinear Earthworks (“Puddlehall Moat”)
  • Castledillon Graveyard & Early Church Site Glebe House Glebe
  • Ladycastle Motte
  • Lodge Park Lodge
  • Lodge Park House
  • Lyons Castle
  • Lyons Church and Carvings
  • Lyons Church And Graveyard
  • Lyons Demesne - Earthworks
  • Lyons Demesne - Castle
  • Lyons Demesne - Medieval Village
  • Lyons Enclosure
  • Lyons House and Interiors, Gabrielli Murals
  • Lyons Ringfort (Rath Cashel)
  • Oughterard Castle (in ruins)
  • Oughterard Round Tower and Church
  • Painestown House
  • Reeves Enclosure
  • Reeves Tower House
  • Richardstown Tower House
  • Straffan Catholic Church
  • Straffan Church And Graveyard
  • Straffan Church of Ireland Church
  • Straffan Lych Gate to Graveyard
  • Straffan Church Ruins
  • Straffan Demesne Straffan House and Gates
  • Straffan Ringfort (Rath Cashel) at Glebe
  • Straffan Old R.I.C barracks.
  • Turnings Millbrook House
  • Turnings House and lodge/entrance walls
  • Turnings Upper - Architectural Fragment
  • Turnings Upper - Enclosure
  • Whitechurch Castle Church & Baptismal Font
  • Whitechurch Church And Graveyard
  • Whitechurch Enclosure
  • Whitechurch Field System
  • Whitechurch Holy Well

Oughterard (Uachtar Ard in Irish) is a small town on the banks of the Owenriff River close to the south shore of Lough Corrib in County Galway, Ireland. ... Oughterard (Uachtar Ard in Irish) is a small town on the banks of the Owenriff River close to the south shore of Lough Corrib in County Galway, Ireland. ...

Bibliography

  • Cradle Days and Winning Ways: History of Straffan GAA by Hilary Allen (Straffan GAA 1986).
  • Memories of Ninety Years: An Autobiography by Derick Barton (Privately published 1985)
  • The Ryder Cup 2006: Ireland's Legacy by Dermot Gilleece (Red Rock Press 14 Oct 2005) ISBN 978-0954865320
  • Owners and tenants of Barberstown Castle by Martin J Kelly (Kildare Journal Archaeological Society 1975).
  • Castledillon by Walter Fitzgerald (Kildare Journal Archaeological Society 1909).
  • The Cup: How the 2006 Ryder Cup Was Won by Philip Reid (Maverick House 20 Jan 2007 ISBN 978-1905379248).
  • Annals of Ardclough by Eoghan Corry and Jim Tancred (Ardclough GAA 2004).
  • Ardclough Churches 1985 Souvenir Brochure.
  • W J Fitzpatrick: Life, Times and contemporaries of Lord Cloncurry (1855).
  • Valentine Lawless, Lord Cloncurry: Recollections (Dublin 1849). Online version available: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/other/abl/etext/irish/recollections/cloncurry.html
  • Straffan Steam Museum Website - http://www.steam-museum.com/steam.html

Eoghan Corry is a columnist, prolific author, mainly of sports history, and founder of the Gaelic Athletic Association Museum at Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland. ...

See also


  Results from FactBites:
 
Ireland HQ : Kildare Ireland (875 words)
Travel agency offering online booking and information on horse racing trips, Romeweddings, and pilgrimages.
Lodge Park Walled Garden - Straffan - Co Kildare - Ireland
Location, description, opening hours, admission and contact details for thisKildare garden.
  More results at FactBites »

 
 

COMMENTARY     


Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Your name
Your comments

Want to know more?
Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 


Press Releases |  Feeds | Contact
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the GFDL.
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m