- Springfield, Pennsylvania redirects here. There are several other Springfield Townships in Pennsylvania, some of which also have communities known simply as Springfield. This Springfield is the largest and has the postal designation of Springfield, Pennsylvania.
Springfield Township, or simply Springfield, is a township in Delaware County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. As of the 2000 census, the township had a total population of 23,677. Springfield is a suburb of Philadelphia, located about 10 miles of the city.
Springfield is located at 39°55'37" North, 75°20'7" West (39.926961, -75.335231)1.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 16.5 km˛ (6.4 mi˛). 16.5 km˛ (6.4 mi˛) of it is land and 0.16% is water.
The Census Bureau has also defined the township as a census-designated place with an area exactly equivalent to the township. As of the census2 of 2000, there are 23,677 people, 8,618 households, and 6,790 families residing in the township. The population density is 1,437.4/km˛ (3,723.0/mi˛). There are 8,800 housing units at an average density of 534.2/km˛ (1,383.7/mi˛). The racial makeup of the township is 96.58% White, 0.72% African American, 0.05% Native American, 1.97% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. 0.62% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 8,618 households out of which 32.7% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.3% are married couples living together, 8.6% have a female householder with no husband present, and 21.2% are non-families. 19.3% of all households are made up of individuals and 11.9% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.73 and the average family size is 3.14.
In the township the population is spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 25.0% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 20.3% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 42 years. For every 100 females there are 91.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township is $65,703, and the median income for a family is $74,503. Males have a median income of $52,376 versus $35,957 for females. The per capita income for the township is $27,027. 2.8% of the population and 1.9% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 2.8% of those under the age of 18 and 4.3% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- Springfield Township official website (http://www.springfielddelco.org/)
- Maps and aerial photos
- Street map from Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=39.926961&longitude=-75.335231&zoom=6)
- Topographic map from Topozone (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.926961&lon=-75.335231&s=200&size=m&layer=DRG100)
- Aerial photograph from Microsoft Terraserver (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=14&lon=-75.335231&lat=39.926961&w=750&h=500)