Six Nations of the Grand River is the name applied to two contiguous Indian reserves southeast of Brantford, Ontario, Canada – Six Nations reserve no. 40 and Glebe Farm reserve no. 40B. The original reserve was granted to Joseph Brant and his Iroquois followers in 1784 in appreciation of their support in the American Revolution. They later welcomed a group of Delawares to the reserve. The current reserves encompass 184.7 sq km (71 sq. mi.), all but 0.4 sq km in Six Nations reserve no. 40.
Six Nations of the Grand River is the most populous reserve in Canada, with a population in 2001 of 21,474. The reserve is home to members of the following nations:
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m