FACTOID # 8: Bookworms: Vermont has the highest number of high school teachers per capita and third highest number of librarians per capita.
 
 Home   Encyclopedia   Statistics   States A-Z   Flags   Maps   FAQ   About 
   
 
WHAT'S NEW
 

SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 

 

(* = Graphable)

 

 


Encyclopedia > Ponsonby, New Zealand
Suburb: Ponsonby
City: Auckland City
Island: North Island
Surrounded by

 - to the north
 - to the east
 - to the south
 - to the west This article is about the City of Auckland. ... North Island The North Island is one of the two main islands of New Zealand, the other being the South Island. ...


Herne Bay Saint Marys Bay
Freemans Bay
Grey Lynn
Westmere Herne Bay is a suburb of Auckland, New Zealand. ... Freemans Bay is the name of a bay and an inner suburb of Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand. ... Grey Lynn is an inner residential suburb of Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand. ... Westmere is an Auckland suburb. ...

Ponsonby is an inner suburban area of the city of Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand. It is located two kilometres to the west of the city centre. Ponsonby is surrounded by the suburbs of St. Mary's Bay, Freemans Bay, Herne Bay, and Grey Lynn. The Auckland Metropolitan Area, or Greater Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand, is the largest urban area in New Zealand. ... North Island The North Island is one of the two main islands of New Zealand, the other being the South Island. ... Freemans Bay is the name of a bay and an inner suburb of Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand. ... Grey Lynn is an inner residential suburb of Auckland, in the North Island of New Zealand. ...



The suburb was originally called Dedwood in 1845, A farm in Shelly beach road was called Dedwood – named after a Captain in the NZ army. The name was changed to Ponsonby in 1873. 1845 was a common year starting on Wednesday (see link for calendar). ... 1873 was a common year starting on Wednesday (see link for calaber). ...


There are various theories where the name Ponsonby comes from:


Major-General Sir Henry Ponsonby [private secretary to Queen Victoria, 1870-1895] General Rt. ...


The Hon. Ponsonby Peacock. Peacock was a member of the New Zealand Legislative Council and lived in what was then Ponsonby Road [later renamed Jervois road when Vandeleur Road was renamed Ponsonby Rd in the 1880s.]


Colonel Frederick Ponsonby, Major-General Sir William Ponsonby [Both of whom fought at Waterloo. The fact that part of what is now Ponsonby Road was called Vandeleur Road makes a compelling argument that this the most likely derivation. Major-General Sir John Vandeleur was a Divisional Commander at Waterloo and Colonel Frederick Ponsonby was a regimental commander under him. Neither Frederick Ponsonby or Vandeleur came to New Zealand but they are the most likely people the streets were named after.]. Major-General Sir William Ponsonby (1772-1815) was the second son of William, 1st Baron Ponsonby, of Imokilly, County Cork and Louisa Molesworth. ... Many things bear the name Waterloo. ...


Ponsonby amalgamated with Auckland City Council in 1882.


According to the 2001 census, Ponsonby has a population of 5697. Ponsonby is the location of several schools including Ponsonby Intermediate.


Ponsonby is probobly known best for it's many restaurants and cafes. There are also many radio stations that broadcast near ponsonby:


fleetfm - www.fleetfm.co.nz - 88.3 springsfm - www.springsfm.co.nr 88.0 georgefm - www.george.co.nz basefm - www.basefm.co.nz 107.3 radio chomsky


History of Ponsonby, Three Lamps & Freemans bay.

1840 September 18th The founding of Auckland. Acting on behalf of the Lieutenant Governor, Captain William Hobson, Captain William Cornwallis-Symonds took possession of the 3000 acres (12 km²). A ceremony was held on Point Britomart: Auckland established as the Capital of New Zealand. The city boundary line ran from Cox’s Creek along the shoreline to Hobson Bay, where it turned inland to Mount Eden and thence back to Cox’s Creek. William Hobson (September 26, 1792 - September 10, 1842), was the first Governor of New Zealand and co-author of the Treaty of Waitangi. ...


1841 March 14 Acting Governor Hobson arrives in Auckland.


1841 Jane Griffin Lady Franklin, the wife of Sir John Franklin the Governor of Tasmania visits Auckland. During her time in Auckland she walked up a track in the Ponsonby area subsequently named for her as Franklin road. Jane Griffin (1791 - 1875) was a British Victorian traveller better known as Lady Jane Franklin, wife of explorer Sir John Franklin, who disappeared in the Arctic in the 1840s on an expedition to find the Northwest Passage. ... Sir John Franklin FRGS (April 15, 1786 – June 11, 1847) was an English sea captain and Arctic explorer whose expedition disappeared while attempting to chart and navigate the Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic. ...


mid1840s Governor Hobson's secretary James Stuart Freeman lives in the area subsequently known as "Freemans Bay".


mid1840s George Scott farms the land where 3 Lamps is now.


1848 Ponsonby is included in the “Hundred of Auckland”.


1849 Freeman’s Hotel is built [this first wooden structure is constructed on the shore of Freemans Bay]


1851 NZ’s first Steamship the Governor Wynyard is launched at Freemans bay Xmas 1851


1851 Ponsonby becomes part of the “Suburban West Ward”


1853 For £1100 Catholic Bishop Pompallier purchases 19ha in the area between 3 lamps and the shoreline from James O’Neill christening it Mount St. Mary. Jean-Baptiste Francois Pompallier [1801-1871] First Bishop of New Zealand and the South Pacific celebrated the first RC Mass in Nz in Northland in 1836. He was responsible for Article Four in the Treaty of waitangi which acknowledges Religious Freedom.


1854 O’Neill’s house becomes St. Anne’s School for Maori Girls run by the Sisters of Mercy. Responding to a Maori request for holy women to teach the children, the sisters of Mercy arrived in Auckland from Ireland in 1850 already fluent in the Maori language. Their first school & orphanage was situated near St Patrick’s Cathedral.


1854 St Mary’s College for Catechists on the North Shore is transferred to Ponsonby, St. Marys School for Boys & a Seminary are built on 5 acres of Crown Grant land at the end of Waitemata St.


1858 The Church of the Immaculate Conception is built [demolished 1869 – 70, present site of the Ponsonby Tennis Club]


1859 New Street is put through the middle of the St Mary Mount estate and Bishop Pompallier presents land on the eastern side of the street for the creation of St. Mary’s College. Almost unaided the sisters erect a three story convent building and open it in 1861. The only surviving building from this period is the Kauri St Mary’s Chapel constructed in 1865 by Edward Mahoney for £1100.


1860s Many Roman Catholics buy land in the new Subdivisions in order to be near the Catholic centre with it’s Church, Convent & Schools. Names such as “Dublin” & “Green” reflect this development.


1860 Bishop Pompallier returns from Europe with a group of French nuns. They form under his direction, the Congregation of the Holy Family, which concentrated on teaching Maori girls.


1861 St. Anne’s boarding school occupies O’Neill’s former house.


1862 The Convent is completed. The new order of the Holy Family takes over teaching at the school. The order now consists of Maori as well as French Sisters.


1862 The Bishop takes over O’Neill’s former house as his official residence.


1863 The Bishop sells more land, retaining the 4 acres with the Bishop’s House, The Church of the Holy Family and the Convent of the Holy Family. The Nazareth Institute for Maori and Half-Caste Girls is founded.


1863 The 1863 map of Auckland shows the road from Karangahape rd to Franklin Rd labelled as Ponsonby Rd. At this time Jervois Rd is also called Ponsonby Rd. The map doesn’t show the piece of road from Franklin Rd to College Hill that is called Vandeleur Rd.


1864 The wooden gothic Anglican Church of All Saints at 3 Lamps is built.


1866 All Saints Parish is formed and a Sunday School opened.


1866 St. Mary’s Convent, with it’s dormitories and Chapel is built.


1865-68 The Suffolk Hotel is built on College Hill [now the Cavalier Tavern]


1865 Gas street lights are installed along Ponsonby / Vandeleur road.


1869 -70 The Convent of the Holy Family is destroyed by fire. The Catholic Bishop is forced by his mortgagee to sell his remaining land, including the Bishop’s House. The buyer is a Mr. Bennett who demolishes the Church of the Immaculate Conception. [Now the Ponsonby Tennis Club] The Bishop resigns and leaves, leading to the dissolution of the order he had formed; the Order of the Holy Family. St. Mary’s Convent remains.


1870s The reclaimation of Freeman’s bay begins and is complete by 1901. The infill consists of earth, building debris, rubbish and “night soil”. Every week during the 1870s 50 tons of “night soil” is spread over the ground in what will be Grey Lynn.


1871 On 24th of April 1871 Auckland is proclaimed a Borough. There is now a City Council again for the first time since 1852.


1871 The Ponsonby and Dedwood Highway District is formed.


1871 Dedwood Post office is opened.


1872 The Anglican parish of All Saints is officially defined.


1872 The Ponsonby Anglican householders meet with local Education Board. The schoolroom of All Saints Church is rented at 30 per year to house Dedwood School. In 1874 Dedwood School is attended by 100 girls and 74 boys.


1873 The name of the area is changed from Dedwood to Ponsonby. A farm in Shelly beach road was called Dedwood – named after a Captain in the NZ army.


1873 Bishop Croke, the second Catholic Bishop of Auckland buys back the land with the Bishop’s House on it. In 1874 the wooden house is moved to it’s present location at 57 St. Mary’s Bay Road.


1873 A contest for the design of Western Park [originally known as City Park]is held. Sir George Grey and Judge Thomas Gillies donate specimen trees.



1876 Ponsonby becomes part of the Newton Constituency.


1876 St Stephens Presbyterian Church in Jervois Rd is built [Thomas Mahoney architect]


1877 St Johns Church, Ponsonby Road is built. This handsome wooden Gothic church is still a landmark of the area.


1877 After years of inactivity the development of Western Park is restarted.


1879 Western Park opens. However work on the project will continue for several decades.


1879 A school opens in Beresford St known as Harrison’s School named after its headmaster.


1880 St Stephens Presbyterian Church opens a Sunday School.


1880 LeQuesnes Pharmacy opens on what is now Jervois Road.


early 1880s the plane trees in Franklin road are planted.


1880s Vandeleur Road is called Ponsonby road along its whole length, what will be Jervois rd is still called Ponsonby Road as well.


1880s Three Lamps gets its name from the large Gas lamp standard at the intersection of College Hill Ponsonby & Jervois roads. This was altered in 1902 and removed in 1951. In the 1970s it was recreated at the side of the intersection.


1882 Ponsonby is amalgamated with the Auckland City Council area.


1883 Lieutenant-General Sir William Jervois becomes Governor of New Zealand [1883-1889] Jervois Road is named after him. The Governor-General of New Zealand is the local representative of the Queen of New Zealand, Queen Elizabeth II, and as such is the highest office in the Government of New Zealand. ...


1884 The first Horse Tram service from Queen Street to Ponsonby is started. The route is from 3 Lamps to Queen St via K’rd, Pitt St, & Grey St. The fare is threepence. Trams ran every 15 minutes from 6.30am to 10.30pm at an average speed of 5 miles an hour.


1884 The Rob Roy Pub is built. It was named after a ship. The first proprietor William Regan is a teetotaler.


1884 A Hand Reel Fire Station is built at 3 Lamps, in 1889 a new station is built in St Mary’s Bay Road.


1885 to 1890 An Economic slump follows the stock market crash. “ whole streets such as John Street and Clarence Street had not a soul living in them. Workmen’s cottages handy to Queen Street brought half a crown per week: further out, say Ponsonby, such cottages were gladly let free of rent”


1886 The water reservoir at the corner of K’rd & Ponsonby road is built.[extant]


1886 The Ponsonby Baptist Church is built. The 1778 Avery pipe organ is said to be originally from Windsor Castle, a gift from Queen Victoria to Old St. Pauls, Emily Place which had been demolished the previous year] Windsor Castle: The Round Tower or keep dominating the castle, as seen from the River Thames. ... Victoria Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria) (24 May 1819–22 January 1901) was a Queen of the United Kingdom, reigning from 20 June 1837 until her death. ...


1886 - 1887 The Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart is built on the corner of O’Neill St and Ponsonby Road. This takes over the role of Parish Church from St Mary’s Chapel.


1887 The Ponsonby Seventh Day Adventist Church in McKelvie Street is opened.


1889 The Grey Lynn Borough Council Chambers & Volunteer Fire Station in Williamson Avenue is built [[[John Mitchell]] architect].


1890s The underground men's public toilets at 3 lamps are built- these are possibly the first such public utilities in Auckland.


1890s The “Surrey Hills” farm [owned jointly by Thomas Crummer & the Hon. James Williamson] is subdivided for building sections and renamed Surrey Crescent.


1893 The Ponsonby Catholic Parish School building in O’Neill St is opened, in 1913 when the school is moved to Vermont St the building became a hall.


1894 The New Bishop’s Palace is constructed to the designs of Pugin & Pugin [sons of Augustus Welby Pugin, the Gothic Enthusiast responsible for much of the decorative work of the Palace of Westminster.] The Bishop’s Palace was partly funded by donations from all over the world including 5000 schools in Europe & the USA, the Lord Mayor of London and an Archduchess of Austria. An imposing dark brick gothic pile, it is believed to be the first House in Auckland to have electric lighting. ... The Palace of Westminster, known also as the Houses of Parliament, is where the two Houses of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (the House of Lords and the House of Commons) conduct their sittings. ...


1897 The Catholic Order of the Little Sisters of the Poor is established in NZ. They were first located in a two storied house in Hepburn St and from 1904 in Tweed St.


1902 Horse drawn trams are superseded by Electrified Trams. The speed limit for trams set at 9 miles [13.5 kilometres] an hour. Part of the contract to allow trams use the roadway is that the central section where the tramlines are laid is surfaced in asphalt. The lamp-post at Three Lamps was removed and the 3 gas lamps mounted on the new tram pole. These lights were electrified in 1920. The pole was removed in 1951, after which the lamps were attached to the façade of the nearby pub. In the 1970s a new Lamp-post was built with the same three circular steps as the original.


1902 The Ponsonby Fire Station in St Marys Bay Road is built. [Goldsbo'ro & Wade architects]


1903 The brick building housing the Auckland Gas Company in Beaumont St is constructed.


1903 December 3rd after a blazing row the Ponsonby Yacht club take up residence at the Rob Roy Hotel.


1903 A monument to the soldiers who fell in the Boer War is erected at 3 lamps [corner of St Mary’s Bay road & College Hill] this white marble monument disappears around 1927.


1904 The Catholic Order of the Little Sisters of the Poor moves to Tweed St.


1905 The Leys Institute at 3 lamps is established by brothers William Leys and Dr Thomas Leys. This includes a Public Library, Lecture Theatre & Gymnasium.


1905 A Black American named Edward James opens a roller skating rink at 3 lamps. In 1913 it is converted into a cinema designed by Frederic A. Browne. First called the Windsor then the Britannia it was owned by Thomas O’Brien [builder of the Civic Theatre ] It closed in 1969, after a time as a flooring showroom, and underwent a fairly sensitive renovation in the 1970s before reopening in 1982 as the Alhambra Shopping Mall. The Civic Theatre is located at the Wagga Wagga Civic Centre adjacent to the Wollundry Lagoon, Art Gallery and the Wollundry Amphitheatre which opened in 1963 and was renovated in 1997. ...


1905 Victoria Park created. Sir Arthur Mielzinier Myers 1868–1926 [former Mayor of Auckland & Brewery Managing director] donates money for Playground equipment.


1905 Construction of the City Council Works Depot is started. [now Victoria Park Market]


1906 The Hydra Bacon factory is constructed on Tole’s paddock at 3 Lamps.


1909 The kindergarten in Victoria Park is built. When it encounters financial difficulties in 1910, John Logan Campbell purchases it to rescue the institution. Sir John Logan Campbell (1817 - 1912) was a prominent New Zealand public figure. ...


1911 The Ponsonby Post Office is built. John Campbell - Government Architect [NZ Historic Places Listing] John Campbell may refer to many different people: British political figures John Campbell, 1st Earl of Loudoun (died 1633) John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll (1680–1743) John Campbell of Cawdor, minor British politician (1695–1777) John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun (1705–1782) John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll...


1911 Point Erin is purchased for £19000 with another £3000 to develop it as a public park.


1912 Buildings are erected on Tole’s paddock [cnr College Hill & Ponsonby road]


1913 Waterfront Strike meetings held in the Freeman’s Hotel.


1914 The Auckland City Council allocates £3000 for six municipal houses in Clarence Street. This is the Council’s first venture into public housing.


1915 The City Council Works Depot completed. Known as "The Destructor" this facility burnt a great deal of the city's rubbish for many years. It was closed in 1972. In 1983 the brick industrial complex was converted into Victoria Park Market.


1915 Stitchbury terrace, a set of townhouses, is built [cnr of Curran St & Jervois Rd]


1918 The wooden grandstand in Victoria Park is used as a temporary morgue during the great influenza epidemic, from here the corpses are taken to the train station at the bottom of town and transported out to Waikamete cemetery in West Auckland. In Auckland almost 1700 people perish.


1920 Augustus Braithwaite, the Ponsonby Postmaster is murdered at his home in Shelly Beach Rd. The murderer Dennis Gunn was hung as a result of the first use of fingerprint evidence in a trial in New Zealand.


1928 The ASB Bank in Jervois Rd is built.


1929-1933 The Depression effects retail trade considerably.


1939 War declared.


1942-1945 WWII American Troops occupy Victoria Park. Air-raid drills and black outs impose themselves on everyday life in Auckland. Along with rationing most private transportation is hampered by restrictions resulting in public transport being overloaded. The crush usually encountered at rush hour is now usual all day.


1950 The End of rationing. The next ten years are a time of increased prosperity for NZ.


1950s The lure of the new suburbs and the greatly increased number of people able to own motorcars results in a general exodus of people from the inner-city. Throughout the western world this trend results in a downward spiral of old-fashioned inner city housing areas. The ethos of the 40s/50s & 60s with it’s obsession with newness & hygiene results in Victorian structures being regarded as little short of evil. Much of Auckland’s inner city housing is denounced as “sustandard” The Auckland City Council embarks on a programme of “slum clearance” which results in the destruction of many Victorian houses in the inner city despite protests from long term residents. The effect of this is quite catastrophic.


1956 The electric Tram service is discontinued, the Tram tracks are torn up, the overhead wires continue to be used for the electric trolley buses.


1950s The foreshore of St. Mary’s bay disappears under the approaches to the Harbour Bridge. Cut off from the sea a great number of small commercial boat-yards are forced to close and many private boat-slips which have been used for almost a century fall into disuse. The Auckland Harbour Board planned to fill in Westhaven completely, but a group of local residents including engineers and architects donated their services to create Westhaven Marina, now one of Auckland’s greatest assets.


1959 The Auckland Harbour Bridge opens. Auckland Harbour Bridge Auckland Harbour Bridge is an eight lane road bridge that spans the Waitemata Harbour joining Freemans Bay in Auckland City with Northcote in North Shore City, New Zealand. ...


1960s The motorway viaduct over Victoria Park is constructed.


1960s The cutting of the motorway system through Freemans Bay combined with City Council’s Clearance schemes exasperates the decline of the inner city suburbs. Property values plummet and the low rents means the area becomes home to a diverse set of people; migrant workers from the Pacific Islands, University students, queers and sex workers.]


1960s The wooden Victorian Gothic All Saints Church at 3 Lamps is replaced by a new brick structure designed by Professor. R.H.Toy.


1969 The Britannia Picture theatre at 3 lamps closes. After a period as a flooring showroom it undergoes a fairly sensitive renovation in the 1970s and opens as the Alhambra Shopping Mall.


1970s The Ponsonby/Grey Lynn/Freemans Bay area is widely regarded as a slum. Large numbers of shops on Ponsonby road are second hand merchants and many premises.


1970s the electric trolley bus system is discontinued – the overhead wires are taken down.


1970s-80s Significant numbers of Gays & Lesbians begin to live in Grey Lynn/Freeman’s Bay/St Mary’s Bay and begin a process of gentrification. The presence of so many “creative” types, gay & straight creates a distinct culture in the area.[This set of affairs is mirrored in Parnell]


Late 1970s The Auckland City Council reuses the old Police Barracks as a community art centre called “Outreach”.


1980s Assembly of God Church is erected next to the Harbour Bridge approaches at Victoria Park. A Financial crisis will later lead to the sale of this building.


1983 Inactive since 1972 the Destructor at Victoria Park [1915] is saved from demolition by being converted into use as Victoria Park Market.


mid 1980s The construction of two high rise apartment blocks on Jervois Rd leads to public outcry as it is discovered that the existing town planning rules allow for such developments. In the face of wide spread pressure from the residents of the Ponsonby area, the Auckland City Council swiftly amends the height restrictions to make it impossible for similar buildings to be erected in the future.


1980s The Gasholders at the bottom of College Hill are demolished.


Late 1980s The process of gentrification is quite perceivable. Ponsonby’s villas have become desirable properties and the area is seen as a good place to live.


1990s The Queer presence in the Ponsonby area is expressed by various annual events Coming Out Day parades & The Hero Parade.


1990s Other festivals develop in the area: the Grey Lynn Festival & Pasifika.


1990s Ponsonby Road has become known as Restaurant mile. Amongst other things the liberalising of the liqueur laws results in a large increase in small restaurants & bars. While the Auckland City Council’s relaxation of bylaws prohibiting pavement cafes encourages large numbers of cafes to appear.



1990s The process of gentrification has resulted in Ponsonby becoming a very desirable place to live. The greatly increased property values begin to drive out the lower income people who rent accommodation in the area, while many families who bought property in the area during the 60s are tempted to capitalise on the increase in the value of their homes and sell up. Slowly the area begins to lose many of its Pacific Island inhabitants and its more colourful and raffish characters. Gentrification refers to the process whereby dilapidated neighborhoods are restored and refurbished, usually in conjunction with changing demographics and an influx of wealthier residents. ...


1990s Concerned with pressure of development in the Ponsonby area the Auckland City Council makes much of Grey Lynn a heritage area with building laws specifically designed to protect the character of the area. Grey Lynn is the largest concentration of wooden Victorian buildings in the world.


1990s The Gluepot Tavern at 3 Lamps closes and is renovated as retail shops and apartments.


1990s John Radford Sculptures installed in Western Park. John Radford (born 22 February 1947 in Hemsworth, Yorkshire) is a former English football player. ...


1996 A proposal is put to improve the viaduct basin to create the America’s Cup village.


1990s the Link bus service commences.


2000 The side effects of the America’s Cup are seen when restaurants along Ponsonby Road are empty while people crowd the venues surrounding the viaduct harbour. Some businesses find it difficult to weather the financial downturn during what should be their busiest season. Some are forced to downscale their staff numbers or even close shop.


2000s The gentrification process has led to such an increase in property values that many of those involved including Gays & Lesbians relocate further our beginning the gentrification process again in area like Kingsland, Point Chevalier, Mt Albert and even Onehunga. Gentrification refers to the process whereby dilapidated neighborhoods are restored and refurbished, usually in conjunction with changing demographics and an influx of wealthier residents. ...


2000s Concerns over Infill housing lead to new bylaws.


2000 A Supermarket is built on the site of the gasholders at the bottom of College Hill.


2000s A Mainstreet programme is initiated for Ponsonby Road.


2000s Improvements to Western Park, a mosaic pavement by Mark Davidson is installed. Mark Davidson was an Australian politician, elected as a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly. ...


2002 The Auckland Gas Company buildings in Beaumont street are converted into a retail & residential apartment complex.


2003 A project to widen the Victoria Park motorway viaduct threatens the Campbell free Kindergarten building and the Birdcage [formerly the Rob Roy] plans are laid in place to preserve the Rob Roy Building by moving it further up Franklin Road.


2005 Widening of Viaduct postponed


References

  • "The Lively Capital, Auckland 1840-1865" Una Platts, Avon Fine Prints Limited New Zealand 1971.
  • The Heart of Colonial Auckland, 1865-1910. Terence Hodgson. Random Century NZ Ltd 1992.
  • Colonial Architecture In New Zealand. John Stacpoole. A.H & A.W Reed 1976
  • Decently And In Order, The Centennial History of the Auckland City Council. G.W.A Bush. Collins 1971.
  • Auckland Through A Victorian Lens. William Main. Millwood Press 1977.
  • Ponsonby Heritage Walks. Tania Mace. Ponsonby Road Productions 2005.

  Results from FactBites:
 
Hamilton, New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (1227 words)
The new English settlement was renamed Hamilton after Captain Fane Charles Hamilton, the popular commander of HMS Esk, who was killed in the battle of Gate Pa, Tauranga.
According to New Zealand statistics office, Hamilton's population is Pakeha/European, 79.2%; Māori, 15%; the remainder mainly Asian and Pacific Islander.
New Zealand's main roading artery State Highway 1 runs through Hamilton's western suburbs and connects with State Highway 3 within the city boundaries.
Auckland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (3985 words)
After the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in February 1840 the new Governor of New Zealand, William Hobson, had the task of choosing a capital for the colony.
During the mid 19th century, European settlement of New Zealand was predominantly in the South Island.
Auckland International Airport, New Zealand's largest airport, lies beside Manukau Harbour, in the southern suburb of Mangere, which is part of Manukau.
  More results at FactBites »

 
 

COMMENTARY     


Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Your name
Your comments

Want to know more?
Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 


Press Releases |  Feeds | Contact
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the GFDL.
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m