The Porte Palatine were one of the four Roman entrances of Turin.
They were one entrance of the Cardo Massimo the second main street of roman towns. It is made by two towers of sixteen sides each and a central part with the entrance. After the romans it was used made larger and used as a female prigion and that is the reason why it wasn't destoyed like the other entrances. In 1800s an archeologist decided to restor the original roman entrance. During restoration one of the two towers was kept in its medival aspect. In front two bronze statues were added in fascist times and they are remakes. It is situated near the cathedral behind the Palazzo Reale.
Categories: Buildings and structures in Turin | Ancient Roman architecture
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m