Paderborn was a clerical state until it was included into Prussia in 1803. After the Napoleonic wars when Prussia created the province Westphalia it also created two districts roughly covering the area of the previous state - Paderborn and Büren. In 1975 these two districts were merged to the current Paderborn district.
The Paderborn district is located at the western slope of the Teutoburg Forest, west of the Eggegebirge. The highest elevation is the Am Totenkopf at the district border near Bleiwäsche (Bad Wünnenberg) with 498 m, the lowest near Delbrück with 77 m. The main river in the district is the Lippe, which has its spring in Bad Lippspringe.
Coat of arms
The red cross in the top of the coat of arms symbolizes the clerical state Paderborn, the historic precursor of today's district. The wave line below stands for the rivers in the district, especially the Lippe River. The symbol in bottom derives from the Lords of Büren.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m