First granted in 1762 by NewHampshire's first Colonial Governor, Benning Wentworth, the territory was named "Dryden," after English poet and playwright, John Dryden.
Due to the inability of grantees to settle the area, it was regranted in 1770 by his nephew, Governor John Wentworth, to new colonizers, who renamed the grant "Coleburne" after Sir George Colebrooke, the East India Company's chairman of the board.
The town is accessible via U.S. Route 3, NewHampshireRoute 26 from the east, and SR 145 from Stewartstown.
The town is bisected by two state roads, Route 43 running north from NewHampshireRoute 101 through the Candia Four Corners to the Deerfield, NewHampshire town line, and Route 27, running east/west from the Hooksett, NewHampshire town line through the Candia Four Corners to the Raymond, NewHampshire town line.
Route 101 is the major east/west thoroughfare through southern NewHampshire and travels through the south part of Candia.
Both of these facilities are located approximately 20 minutes away in Manchester, NewHampshire.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m