Moncks Corner is the county seat of Berkeley County, South Carolina. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 5,952. It is the county seat of Berkeley County6.
Moncks Corner was, during colonial time, a major settlement area of French Protestant Huguenots who came to South Carolina as a result of persecution in Europe. Many Berkeley and adjacent county surnames today evidence this French influence.
Revolutionary War hero, Francis Marion was born near Moncks Corner, and is now honored by the naming of Francis Marion National Forest nearby.
Moncks Corner is located at 33°11'48" North, 80°0'24" West (33.196606, -80.006656)1.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 11.6 km² (4.5 mi²). 11.6 km² (4.5 mi²) of it is land and none of the area is covered with water.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 5,952 people, 2,103 households, and 1,491 families residing in the town. The population density is 515.3/km² (1,333.1/mi²). There are 2,334 housing units at an average density of 202.1/km² (522.8/mi²). The racial makeup of the town is 57.33% White, 36.59% African American, 0.64% Native American, 0.55% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 2.97% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. 4.20% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 2,103 households out of which 40.6% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.6% are married couples living together, 23.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 29.1% are non-families. 25.6% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.6% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.61 and the average family size is 3.09.
In the town the population is spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 18.1% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 32 years. For every 100 females there are 87.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 81.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $31,711, and the median income for a family is $37,335. Males have a median income of $30,634 versus $21,796 for females. The per capita income for the town is $15,202. 17.6% of the population and 16.5% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 26.6% of those under the age of 18 and 11.7% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- Cypress Gardens (http://www.cypressgardens.org/)
- Old Santee Canal Park (http://www.oldsanteecanalpark.org/)
- Mepkin Abbey (http://www.mepkinabbey.org/the_mepkin_chronicle.htm)
- Origin of Monks/Moncks (http://www.geocities.com/gracefiles/monks.html)
- Maps and aerial photos
- Street map from Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=33.196606&longitude=-80.006656&zoom=6)
- Topographic map from Topozone (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=33.196606&lon=-80.006656&s=200&size=m&layer=DRG100)
- Aerial photograph from Microsoft Terraserver (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=14&lon=-80.006656&lat=33.196606&w=750&h=500)