Drill Field on the Mississippi State University campus
Mississippi State University is a land-grant university located in north east-central Mississippi, in the town of Starkville. It was created in 1878 as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of the State of Mississippi and received its first students in the fall of 1880. The Mississippi Legislature renamed the college in 1932 as Mississippi State College and again in 1958 as Mississippi State University.
It is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate, master's, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
Currently, Mississippi State consists of the following academic units: the School of Accountancy, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Architecture, the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Industry, the Division of Continuing Education, the College of Education, the College of Engineering, the College of Forest Resources, the Graduate School, and the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Additionally, the university offers undergraduate and graduate programs at an off-campus degree-granting center in Meridian, Mississippi.
As of 2000, enrollment at Mississippi State was 16,561 overall; 15,764 on the main campus. The student/faculty ratio was 15:1.
The university's athletic teams participate in NCAA's Division I in the competetive 12-member Southeastern Conference (West Division) under the nickname Bulldogs, and its colors are maroon and white.
- John Grisham, Author
- Erick Dampier , Golden State Warriors Center
- Bailey Howell, Former NBA Star
- Buck Showalter, Manager, Texas Rangers
- Johnnie Cooks, Former NFL Star
- Will Clark, Former 1st Baseman for S.F. Giants and St. Louis Cardinals
- Dave Ferriss, Former Major League Baseball Player
- Rafael Palmeiro Major League Baseball Player
- Bobby Thigpen Former Major League Relief Pitcher
- Amy Tuck Mississippi Lt. Governor
- Bill Waller Jr. MS Supreme Court Justice
- G.V. "Sonny" Montgomery Former U.S. Representative and author of the Montgomery G.I. Bill
- John C. Stennis Former U.S. Senator and "Father of the Modern Navy"
- Jerry Clower Comedian
- Marsha Blackburn Tennessee Congressman
- Toxey Haas Founder and CEO, Mossy Oak Outdoors
- Rhonda Keenum Director General of the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service
- Hartley Peavey Founder of Peavey Electronics
- Ronnie Parker Founder of Pizza Inn
- Fred Carl Founder and CEO of Viking Range
- Bill Hawks USDA Undersecretary, Marketing and Regulatory Programs
- Mississippi State University (official web site) (http://www.msstate.edu/)
- Official MSU athletics site (http://www.mstateathletics.com/)