MTA Long Island Bus (properly, the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority (MSBA)) is the name of the subdivision of the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority that provides bus service throughout Nassau County and some stops along the western border of Suffolk County and the eastern border of Queens in New York City. This is a copyrighted and/or trademarked logo. ...
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) is a public benefit corporation of the State of New York chartered by the New York State Legislature in 1965. ...
An early motorized bus - a Benz truck modified by Netphener company (1895) A bus is a large automobile intended to carry numerous persons in addition to the driver and sometimes a conductor. ...
Nassau County is a county located outside New York City in the U.S. state of New York. ...
Suffolk County is a county located in the U.S. state of New York. ...
Queens is geographically the largest of the five boroughs of New York City in the United States, and the most ethnically diverse county in the U.S. It is coterminous with Queens County in the State of New York and is located on western Long Island. ...
Midtown Manhattan, looking north from the Empire State Building, 2005 New York City (officially named the City of New York) is the most populous city in the state of New York and the entire United States. ...
There are current plans to merge MTA Long Island Bus with MTA New York City Transit's bus operations and some private bus companies to form MTA Bus Company. The New York City Transit Authority (also known as NYCTA, NYCT or simply the TA for Transit Authority) is a New York State Authority that operates buses and subway trains in New York City. ...
The MTA Bus Company (MTA Bus for short), a subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, is a public benefit corporation created to operate those bus routes formerly operated by private companies in the New York City area. ...
Founded in 1973 under the name Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority by the combination of ten privately-chartered bus companies, including Bee-Line, Inc. (founded 1922) and its subsidiaries, Rockville Centre Bus Corp. (started 1927) Utilities Lines, Inc, (started 1926, under Bee Line since 1952), and Stage Coach Lines; Schenck Transportation Co, Jerusalem Ave Bus Line, Hempstead Bus Corp (started 1926), Roosevelt Bus Line, Branch Bus Corp (started 1949), and Hendrickson Bus Corp. (started 1949, its only route from Glen Cove to Oyster Bay has been abandoned, but the name Hendrickson survives today as a charter carrier) Earlier, Semke Bus Line had been absorbed into Hempstead Bus Corp in 1970, Nassau Bus Line and Universal Auto Bus (organized 1921) had been acquired by Schenck in the 1960's, Checker Bus Corp had been reformulated into Stage Coach Lines in the 1960's. Star Bus became Mid-Island Transit in 1966, and then became part of Stage Coach Lines. The system now consists of 417 buses running 54 routes covering 995 miles (1,601 km).
According to MTA figures in 2005, an average of 104,750 weekday riders use Long Island Bus to commute around Nassau County and parts of western Suffolk county. Many continue their trip into New York City by utilizing the system's five connections to the New York City Transit subway system or the 46 connections to the MTA Long Island Rail Road. Since 1998, with the use of MetroCards, transfers are free between NYCT and Long Island Bus. The Long Island Rail Road or LIRR (often referred to as the L-I-double-R) is a railroad that serves the length of Long Island, New York. ...
The bus system serves seven major shopping malls in Nassau and western Suffolk (including Green Acres Shopping Mall in Valley Stream, Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall in Garden City,gffvb cbfdhgfdtertaestasdtsadtsdfgdsgafdgdfgratdsgsdfrtweaerewrgtsdgfsdg Broadway Mall in Hicksville, Sunrise Mall in Massapequa, and Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington). It also serves numerous colleges such as Nassau Community College, New York Institute of Technology (Old Westbury Campus), SUNY Old Westbury, SUNY Farmingdale (it in fact travels onto campus, and Hofstra, as well as the popular summer destination Jones Beach, theaters, parks, and government agencies. Valley Stream is a village located in Nassau County, New York in the United States. ...
Garden City, New York is a village in Nassau County, New York in the USA. The village is located 18. ...
Hicksville is a hamlet (and census-designated place) located in Nassau County, New York. ...
Massapequa is a hamlet (and a census-designated place) located in Nassau County, New York. ...
Walt Whitman Walter Walt Whitman (May 31, 1819 â March 26, 1892) was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist born in West Hills, Huntington on Long Island in New York. ...
The Town of Huntington is located in northwestern Suffolk County, New York. ...
Nassau Community College is located in Garden City in Nassau County on Long Island. ...
Wisser Memorial Library, Old Westbury The New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) is a private, co-educational college in New York in the USA. The college has three campuses, two on Long Island, and one in New York City. ...
Hofstra University is a coeducational institution located in Hempstead, Long Island, New York (USA) founded in 1935 on the basis of the estate of William and Kate Hofstra. ...
Jones Beach State Park is a state park of the U.S. state of New York. ...
In keeping with the MTA bus system for New York City, all bus routes carry the N route desginator. Flag Seal Nickname: The Big Apple, The Capital of the World, Gotham , Metropolis Location Location in the state of New York Government Counties (Boroughs) Bronx (The Bronx) New York (Manhattan) Queens (Queens) Kings (Brooklyn) Richmond (Staten Island) Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R) Geographical characteristics Area City 1,214. ...
Long Island Bus began replacing its diesel bus fleet in 1991 with buses operating on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) technology. 1991 (MCMXCI) was a common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar. ...
A CNG propelled autorickshaw on the streets of New Delhi, Delhi. ...
Now, the Long Island Bus fleet is made up entirely of clean air, CNG Orion V 05.501s. Combined with the efforts of the New York City Transit division of the MTA, New York has the cleanest public transportation system in the United States outside of California. A 2000 Orion VI owned by WMATA is parked outside the Ballston-MU Metro station in Arlington, Virginia. ...
The New York City Transit Authority (also known as NYCTA, NYCT for New York City Transit or simply the TA for Transit Authority) is a New York State authority that operates buses and subway trains in New York City. ...
Currently Operated Bus Depots
- Mitchell Field Depot/Senator Norman J. Levy Maintenance Facility - main maintenance faciliy, operates all bus routes on weekends
- Rockville Centre Depot - closed on weekends. Routes operated are N1, N2, N3, N4, N8, N14, N19, N25, N31, N32, N36, N37, N62, N65, JB88.
The Mitchell Field Bus Depot or Senator Norman J. Levy Maintenance Facility is located on 700 Commercial Avenue in Garden City in Nassau County, New York. ...
The Rockville Centre Bus Depot is located on 50 Banks Avenue in Rockville Centre in Nassau County, New York. ...
Type of Buses
The Long Island Bus runs only 100% Orion Bus Industries 05.501 CNG with wheelchair accessible (
) buses at this time. A 2000 Orion VI owned by WMATA is parked outside the Ballston-MU Metro station in Arlington, Virginia. ...
CNG is a TLA that can mean one of the following: Compressed natural gas Comfort Voice Generator ...
Image File history File links Wheelchair. ...
- 1996-1997 fleet: 100, 106-108, 114, 118, 120, 127, 130-245. (Powered by Cummins L10G-series engine)
Total: 153 Cummins Inc. ...
- 1998 fleet: 270-287. (Powered by Cummins L10G-series engine)
- 2000-2002 fleet: 288-395. (Powered by Detroit Diesel Series 50G engine)
Total: 108 Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC), headquartered in Detroit, Michigan, USA, is part of the Freightliner - Trucks NAFTA Business Unit, and is a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler AG. The company produces on-highway medium and heavy-duty Diesel engines for the commercial truck market, and for other commercial and automobile use. ...
- 2004-2005 fleet: 396-462. (Powered by Detroit Diesel Series 50G engine)
> Long Island Bus fleet grand total: 345
The following is a listing of routes run by MTA Long Island Bus. At bus stops in the Queens and Suffolk County, the routes are prefixed with a "N" to signify "Nassau County" to fall in line with other nomenclature used by the MTA. They also documented as such in various MTA and New York City Government media. There is only one 24 hour route, the N6 in the entire system. In addition, buses run "closed-door" in Queens, meaning that no intra-boro travel (trips begin/end in Queens) is permitted. In order to get around this, many passengers get off at the stop closest to the City Line, and often double back in the opposite direction. A articulated bus on the M23 crosstown route. ...
- N1 Hewlett - Elmont - Jamaica, Queens
- N2 Green Acres - Floral Park - Jamaica, Queens
- N3 Green Acres - Franklin Square - Jamaica, Queens
- N4 Freeport - Jamaica, Queens
- N6 Hempstead - Jamaica, Queens
- N8 Franklin Square - Green Acres Mall
- N14 Rockville Centre Loop
- N15 Long Beach - Roosevelt Field Mall
- N16 Roosevelt Field Mall - Rockville Centre - Silver Lake
- N17 Hempstead - Rockville Centre LIRR station
- N19 Freeport - Babylon
- N20 Hicksville - Flushing, Queens
- N21 Glen Cove - Flushing, Queens
- N22 Hicksville - Mineola - Jamaica, Queens
- N22A Hicksville - E. Williston - Jamaica, Queens
- N23 Mineola - Manorhaven
- N24 Roosevelt Field Mall - Jamaica, Queens
- N25 Lynbrook - Great Neck
- N26 Jamaica, Queens - Great Neck
- N27 Glen Clove - Hempstead
- N28 Roslyn - Roslyn North Industrial Park
- N31 Hempstead - Far Rockaway, Queens (via West Broadway)
- N32 Hempstead - Far Rockaway, Queens (via Central Avenue)
- N33 Long Beach - Far Rockaway, Queens
- N35 Hempstead - Westbury
- N36 Lynbrook - Freeport
- N37 Hempstead - Baldwin Harbor
- N40 Freeport - Mineola (via Main Street)
- N41 Freeport - Mineola (via Babylon Turnpike)
- N43 Freeport LIRR Station - Roosevelt Field
- N45 Roosevelt Field Mall - Bellmore LIRR Station
- N46 Hempstead - Bellmore LIRR Station
- N47 Hempstead - Nassau University Medical Center
- N48 Hempstead - Jericho Quad (via Carman Avenue)
- N49 Hempstead - Jericho Quad (via Newbridge Road)
- N50 Bellmore - Hicksville
- N51 Roosevelt Field Mall - Merrick LIRR Station
- N52 Merrick Shuttle West
- N53 Merrick Shuttle East
- N54 Hempstead - Amityville
- N55 Hempstead - Sunrise Mall
- N57 Great Neck - Great Neck LIRR Station Loop
- N58 Great Neck LIRR Station - Kings Point
- N62 South Freeport - Freeport LIRR Station
- N65 East Rockaway - Hempstead or Uniondale (School Days Only)
- N66 East Rockaway - Mineola (School Days Only)
- N67 Roosevelt - East Meadow or Hicksville (School Days Only)
- N70 Hempstead - Melville
- N71 Hempstead - Sunrise Mall
- N72 Hempstead - Babylon
- N73 Hicksville LIRR Station - Wantagh
- N74 Hicksville LIRR Station - Wantagh
- N78 Mineola - Plainview
- N79 Mineola - Walt Whitman Mall
- N80 Broadway Mall - Sunrise Mall
- N81 Broadway Mall - Sunrise Mall
- N93 Nassau Hub Shuttle
- N94 Woodbury Shuttle
- N95 Farmingdale Shuttle
- N6 Hempstead - Jamaica, Queens (A.M. Rush Hour Only)
- N20X Hicksville - Flushing, Queens
- N21X Glen Cove - Flushing, Queens
Summer service only
- N87 Hicksville - Jones Beach
- N88 Freeport - Jones Beach
One bus route, while it caries an 'N' designator, is not operated by Long Island bus. The N69 is operated by the City of Long Beach as part of it's public bus system.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority