Legnickie Pole (GermanWahlstatt) is a small village near Legnica in Lower Silesia, Poland. Site of a decisive battle between the Mongols of the Golden Horde and a Polish-German force led by Duke Henry II the Pious (Piast dynasty) on April 9, 1241, which marked the westernmost expansion of the Mongols into central Europe. Although the Mongols annihilated their opponents, they turned back to attend to the election of a new Grand Khan.
Prussian general Count Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher (later Prince of Wahlstatt) defeated a Napoleonic army under Marshal Macdonald at the battle of the Kaczawa, a small river running through Legnickie Pole and Legnica, during the war of 1813/14.
A baroque abbey built at Wahlstatt became a Prussian training institute for cadets (1814?), then a boarding school for boys (1919), and following the transfer of Silesia to Poland in the aftermath of World War II a hospital for emotionally disturbed patients (1949).
Categories: Villages in Poland | Polish battles | Silesia
During the Napoleonic Wars, the Prussian general Count BlÃ¼cher defeated a French army under Marshal MacDonald at the Kaczawa, a small river running through LegnickiePole and Legnica, in the Battle of Katzbach on 26 August 1813.
A Baroque abbey built at LegnickiePole in 1727 through 1733 became a Prussian training institute for cadets in 1840.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m