Johannes Bugenhagen (24 June 1485 in Wollin, Pomerania—20 April 1558 in Wittenberg, Saxony), also called Doktor Pomeranus, introduced the Protestant Reformation in Pomerania and Denmark in the 16th century.
Bugenhagen was born in Eastern Pomerania in 1485. After his studies at the University of Greifswald, and his ordination as a priest, he held several posts as a religious preacher.
In 1517, Duke Bogislav X. of Pomerania ordered Dr. Johannes Bugenhagen, who was a lecturer in a monestary at the time, to write down the history of the province called "Pomerania" in Latin. The year 1518 is the beginning of historical writing of the combined territory Pomerania.
When Martin Luther published his anti-Roman "Von der babylonischen Gefangenschaft der Kirche" (=About the Babylonic Bondage of the Church) in 1521, Bugenhagen did not like Luther's thoughts at all. However, once he had studied it more, Bugenhagen became a supporter of the Protestant Reformation and moved to Wittenberg.
"Doktor Pomeranus", as Martin Luther used to call him, soon became one of the most effective reformers. Besides his job as the parish pastor in Wittenberg (after 1523), and personal counselling of Luther, he also held lectures in theology at the university in Wittenberg (today Martin Luther University).
Other than for his theological opinions, he also became well-known because of his organising ability. He was almost predetermined for the reformation in Northern Germany and Scandinavia. He took an active lead in creating new church regularities for Hildesheim, Hamburg, Lübeck, Pomerania, Schleswig-Holstein, Braunschweig, Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, and Denmark.
Not only did he create the new rules, he also established them and convinced people. Johannes Bugenhagen produced rules and regulations for religious service, for schooling, and for social issues of the church. In 1539, he became superintendent of the Church in Saxony.
After the death of Martin Luther, Bugenhagen took care of Luther's widow and children.
Johannes Bugenhagen died in Wittenberg in 1558.