Joan C. Edwards Stadium, sometimes called "The Joan" is the home football stadium of Marshall University. It is located on the main campus in Huntington, West Virginia.
The stadium openned in 1991 as simply Marshall University Stadium. It replaced a condemned Depression era off-campus facility.
The stadium had an original capacity of 28,000, although 33,116 was the record crowd. Seating was expanded to 38,016 by 1998. The stadium was designed to have an upper deck added, bringing capacity to 55,000, should continued growth in the program warrant it.
In 2003 the stadium was renamed after Joan C. Edwards, who is the largest single donor to the university in the modern era. The university's medical school and fine arts center are also named for her. The field at the stadium is named for her late husband, James F. Edwards and the facilities building is named for Fred and Christine Shewey, who are also major donors.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m