The municipality of Janiuay is located 33 kilometers north-west of Iloilo City, Philippines. It was created in 1769, and composed of 60 barangays.
In the summer of 1578, the natives of Tala-ugis trudged up from the coast to establish a settlement northward in the
interior along Suage River. The first settlers were led by families of Gamuk, Hutikon, Uganet and Pagdakton, who settled
themselves in what is currently known as barangays Matag-ub,
Danao, Yabon and Quipot. More than a century later, Spaniards came along these parts of Panay.
Early in 1738, Datu Buhawi of Yabon recognized the Spanish
government, thus subjugating himself and his barangay to Spanish
rule. But, Datu Dumagtol of nearby Ubian refused to follow
suit. He led his subjects to the mountains to resist against the Spanish colonizers.
The Spanish governor Francisco Bayot de Ocampo recommended to the "Principalia to transfer the seat of government, and in the following year (1770), the settlements were strengthened in
their administration in what they called "Janiuay".
There are two legends of how the place got it's name.
One is that it came from the ruling Datu's sons named "Han"
and "Oway". Another is that the words "hani" (whisper) and "oway" (rattan) were combined.