Institut Le Rosey, established in 1880, is the oldest private boarding school in Switzerland and one of the most exclusive private education institutions in the world. It offers studies in either French or English to the students (ages 9 through 18) who come from some of the world's wealthiest families in dozens of different countries. Attendees of this school generally guard their privacy.
Le Rosey runs two campuses. In spring and autumn, classes are held in the at the ChÔteau du Rosey facilities near the village of Rolle in the Vaud canton, located between Lausanne and Geneva. For the winter term, the entire student body moves to a group of Chalets in Gstaad in the Bern canton, home to the world's most elite ski resort and where skiing is part of the school's curriculum.
The annual boarding and academic fees are CHF 71.700 (around USD 57.000 at a 0.8 exchange rate) and other services charged separately add up to around CHF 15.000.
Despite its relatively small student body, Le Rosey offers instruction in more than a dozen languages, with many students studying four different languages.
Invaluable to the students is a very high-quality education with an International Baccalaureate. However, as adults, having a worldwide network of former classmates at the highest levels of industry or government, can be priceless.
Some of Le Rosey's students, whose attendance is a matter of public record, are:
- Aga Khan IV;
- Princess Zahra Aga Khan;
- King Albert II of Belgium;
- Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia;
- Tae Ashida, designer;
- Delphine Boel, artist;
- Lord Ian Campbell, Duke of Argyll;
- John Casablancas, founder of Elite Model Management;
- Julian Casablancas, musician, band member of "The Strokes";
- Joe Dassin, singer;
- Prince Edward, Duke of Kent;
- C. J. Everon, historian, author
- Dodi Al-Fayed, movie producer, friend of Diana, Princess of Wales;
- Andrea Ferragamo, of the Ferragamo fashion house;
- Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Italy;
- Pia Miller Getty, spokeswoman for Sephora cosmetics;
- Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg;
- Albert Hammond Jr, musician, band member of "The Strokes"
- Richard Helms, former director of the CIA and US Ambassador to Iran;
- Michael Kadoorie, Hong Kong billionaire;
- Michael Korda, publisher;
- A. Laurance Kaiser IV, real estate magnate;
- Sean Taro Ono Lennon, musician;
- Marie-Chantal Miller, Crown Princess of Greece;
- Alexandra Miller, daughter of DFS owner Robert Miller;
- Mwani Charles Ndizeye Ntare V, former exiled King of Burundi;
- Tatiana Ojjeh., Crillon Debutante
- Jaime OrtÝz-Pati˝o, global business magnate;
- Pozzo di Borgo family, French aristocrats;
- Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran;
- Prince Rainier of Monaco;
- Andrea di Robilant, author;
- Winthrop Rockefeller Jr., Lt Governor of Arkansas;
- Leslie Rockefeller, Crillon Debutante;
- Rothschild family members, of the banking dynastic family;
- Princess Alexandra de Scheel, of the Netherlands (Not part of the Dutch royal family);
- Taittinger family members, famous champagne producers;
- Irving Thalberg Jr., educator, part of motion picture family;
- William Tittman III, American Diplomat;
- Frederick S. Wildman, Jr., famous wine importer;
- Official page (http://www.rosey.ch/)