Indiana University Bloomington is the principal campus of the Indiana University system. It is popularly known as IUB or simply "Indiana University." It is located in Bloomington, Indiana, in Monroe County, Indiana.
IUB's enrollment in the fall semester of 2004 was 37,821 students, of whom 34,776 (92%) were full time. Undergraduates accounted for 29,062 (77%) students, while graduate and professional students accounted for 7,763.
Most IUB students are white Indiana residents. Of students enrolled in fall 2004, 1,398 (3.8%) were African-Americans, 1,186 (3.3%) were Asian, 794 (2.2%) were Hispanic, 83 (.2%) were Native American, and 33,012 (90.5%) were "other." More women, 19,527 attended IU than men, 18,294. Despite IUB's status as the principal campus of the Indiana University system, only 22,544 (60%) of its students in spring 2004 were Hoosiers.
IUB reported in fall 2003 that it employed 1,766 full-time faculty, lecturers, and academic administrators. Of the full-time faculty, 76% were tenured.
Like the student body, IUB's faculty is predominantly white. Of full-time administrators, faculty, and lecturers, 101 (5.7%) were Asian, 67 (3.8%) were African-American, 60 (3.4%) were Hispanic, 3 (.01%) were Native American, and 1,535 (86.9%) were "other." More men (66.7%) than women held academic appointments at the university.
Professors at IUB were better-paid than their counterparts in the IU system. A full-time professor earned an average of $123,100, an associate professor $85,600, and an assistant professor $74,600.
IUB's 1,931 acres (7.8 km²) includes copious green space and historic buildings dating to the university's reconstruction in the late nineteenth century. The Works Progress Administration built much of the campus's core during the Great Depression. Many of the campus's buildings were built and most of its land acquired during the 1950s and 1960s, when first soldiers attending under the GI Bill and then the Baby Boom swelled the university's enrollment from 5,403 in 1940 to 30,368 in 1970.
The campus rests on a bed of "Indiana limestone," specifically Salem limestone and Harrodsburg limestone, with outcroppings of St. Louis limestone. Many of the campus's buildings are made from Indiana limestone quarried locally.
A stream (and storm sewer) flowing through the center of campus is named for David Starr Jordan, Darwinist, icthyologist, and president of IU and (later) Stanford University.
The schools listed here are degree-granting units made up of smaller departments or programs. Many of IUB's schools are among the best in their areas of expertise, with renowned faculty and modern facilities.
- Evan Bayh, U.S. Senator
- Joshua Bell, violinist
- Mark Cuban, technology entrepreneur, Dallas Mavericks owner
- Kevin Kline, actor
- John Cougar Mellencamp, musician
- Jane Pauley, broadcaster
- Ernie Pyle, journalist
- Will Shortz, puzzle maker (enigmatologist)
- Mark Spitz, Olympic gold medalist swimmer
- Isiah Thomas, former NBA star, Basketball Hall of Famer
- Mansukh C. Wani, cancer researcher, discoverer of Taxol
- James D. Watson, co-discoverer of DNA structure
- Wendell Willkie, 1940 Republican presidential candidate
Notable faculty of Indiana University include the late Salvador Luria and the late Alfred Kinsey (best-known for his Kinsey Reports). Bobby Knight was coach of the IU men's basketball team from 1971 to 2000. Douglas Hofstadter, author of Gödel, Escher, Bach, is an IU professor of cognitive science. Retired chemistry professor Harry G. Day is responsible for the incorporation of fluoride in toothpaste and public drinking water.
History of IUB
Indiana's state government founded Indiana University in 1820 as the "State Seminary." The 1816 Indiana state constitution required that the General Assembly (Indiana's state legislature) create a "general system of education, ascending in a regular gradation, from township schools to a state university, wherein tuition shall be gratis, and equally open to all." It took some time for the legislature to fulfill its promise. While the original legislative charter was granted in 1820, construction began in 1822, the first professor was hired in 1823, and classes were offered in 1824. The first class graduated in 1830.
The school developed rapidly in its first years. The hiring of Andrew Wylie, its first president, in 1828 signified the school's growing professionalism. The General Assembly changed the school's name to "Indiana College" in the same year. In 1838 the legislature changed the school's name for a final time to Indiana University.
Wylie's death in 1851 marks the end of the university's first period of development. IU now had nearly a hundred students and seven professors. Despite the university's more obviously secular purpose, presidents and professors were still expected to set a moral example for their charges. It was only in 1885 that a non-clergyman, biologist David Starr Jordan, became president.
Between Wylie and Jordan's administrations, the University grew slowly. Few changes rocked the university's repose. One development is interesting to modern scholars: The college admitted its first woman student, Sarah Parke Morrison in 1867, making IU the first state university to admit women on an equal basis with men.
In 1883, IU awarded its first Ph. D. and played its first intercollegiate sport, baseball, prefiguring the school's future status as a major research institution and a power in collegiate athletics. But two other incidents that year were far more important to the university. First, the university's original campus in Seminary Square near the center of Bloomington burned to the ground. Second, instead of rebuilding in Seminary Square, as had been the practice following previous blazes, the college was rebuilt at the far eastern edge of Bloomington. (Today, Bloomington has expanded eastward, and the "new" campus is once again at the center of the city.)