Please help improve this article or section by expanding it. Further information might be found on the talk page or at requests for expansion.
View over Gustavia
Gustavia is the main town of the island of St. Barthelemy (also known as Saint Barts). It was named after King Gustav III of Sweden. St. Barts was a French possession originally, and the area was called Carenage after the shelter it provided to damaged ships. Gustavia was founded after Sweden obtained the island from France in 1785 in exchange for French trading rights in Gothenberg. The island was sold back to France in 1878. Image File history File links Wiki_letter_w. ... Saint-Barthélemy is a French island located in the Caribbean at 17°54N 62°50W . ... Gustav III (13 January 1746 (O.S.) (24 January 1746 (N.S.))–March 29, 1792) was the King of Sweden from February 12, 1771 until his death. ...
The Anglican Episcopal Church on the harborfront was built in 1855. Three forts built in the mid- to late- 17th century protected the harbor. The sites of Fort Karl, overlooking Shell Beach south of town, and Fort Gustave, at the base of the lighthouse to the north, are popular with hikers. Fort Oscar, at the tip of Gustavia Peninsula, houses the Ministry of Armed Forces. There is a museum at the end of Schoelcher Avenue on the peninsula. Gustavia has a few restaurants serving American, Italian, Swedish, French and other types of food. Most restaurants have a 10-15% service charge.
History of Saint Barthelemy
Categories: Articles to be expanded | Caribbean geography stubs | France geography stubs
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m