|Motto: Grudziądz- miasto na szczęście |
|Voivodship ||Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodship |
|Municipal government ||Rada Miasta Grudziądz |
|Mayor ||Andrzej Wiśniewski |
|Area ||58,7 km▓ |
|53░ 29' N |
18░ 46' E
|Area code ||+48 56 |
|Car plates ||CG,CGR |
|Twin towns ||- |
|Municipal Website (http://www.grudziadz.pl/) |
Grudziądz (pronounce: ['grudʑȋɔ̃ʣ], German Graudenz) is a city in northern Poland with 100,787 inhabitants (2000). Situated in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodship (since 1999), previously in Toruń Voivodship (1975-1998).
Grudziądz acquired city rights in 1291, and joined the Prussian Confederation in 1440. Between 1466 and 1772 the city belonged to Poland. With the first Polish partition in 1772 the city became part of the Kingdom of Prussia. After the construction of a railroad bridge across the Vistula in 1878, Graudenz became an industrialized city which grew rapidly and became city district in 1900. In the 1912 Reichstag elections, 21% of the votes were given to Polish candidates, while the National Liberal Party of Germany got 53% of all votes.
On the January 23, 1920, after nearly 150 years under Prussian sovereignty, Grudziądz came under the sovereignty of the newly reborn Polish republic. A large economic potential, the existence of important institutions like Pomeranian Tax Office or Pomeranian Chamber of Industry and Trade were of a great influence on the fact, that for many years of the between-wars period, Grudziądz was said to be with no doubt the economical capital of the Pomeranian Voivodship. A good opportunity to present the economic potential of Grudziądz was the 1st Pomeranian Exhibition of Agriculture and Industry in 1925, which was officially opened by the contemporary President of the Republic of Poland – Stanisław Wojciechowski. In the 20 years between the world wars Grudziądz was an important centre of culture and education as well as one of the biggest military garrisons with several military schools located both within the confines of the city and around it.
On the town area two infantry regiments were stationed: 64 and 65 as well as the 16th regiment of light artillery. They were part of the 16th infantry division, which had its headquarters here. However, Grudziądz’s most famous between-wars military section was cavalry, because the 18th Pomeranian Uhlans Regiment was stationed here. The Grudziądz Centre of Cavalry Training gave training to many, in the future years, famous and eminent army commanders. Military education in Grudziądz was also completed with the Centre of Gendarmerie, the Air School of Shooting and Bombarding and the N.C.O. Professional School which offered courses for infantry reserve officer cadets.
On the September 3, 1939 German military troops entered Grudziądz, starting a 5-year occupation of the town. Grudziądz was the location for the German concentration camp Graudentz which was a subcamp of the concentration camp Stutthof. As the result of heavy fighting in 1945, over 60% of Grudziądz was destroyed and devastated.
- Grudziądzka Szkoła Wyższa
- Official web site of Grudziadz (http://www.grudziadz.pl/)
|1880 || ||17,321 |
|1905 || ||35,958 |
|1980 || ||90,000 |
|1990 || ||102,300 |
|1995 || ||102,900 |
|1999 || ||102,434 |
|2000 || ||100,787 |