- There also is Grass Valley, California, a city in Nevada County, California, USA and Grass Valley, Oregon, a city located in Sherman County, Oregon.
Previously known as Grass Valley Group, Grass Valley is a subsidiary company of Thomson. Grass Valley produces technology for the broadcast and film markets, from acquisition through production, postproduction, and transmission.
Grass Valley has engineering centres throughout the world, concentrating on specific products or product groups:
The company is well known for its range of video disk server products, which were the first on the market in the mid '90s, marketed under the "Profile" brand, given the name "PDR".
Grass Valley now offer a number of video disk server products, including the latest "Profile" incarnations, the PVS3000 and PVS3500 which seamlessly support High Definition and Standard Definition video. Alongside the Profile products, Grass Valley now offer iVDR products, such as the M-Series, which are intended as full-featured VTR replacements.
As well as video disk systems, Grass Valley is known for its switchers and effects systems, such as the Kalypso Video Production Center and video routers.
Since coming under the ownership of Thomson, Grass Valley has merged its product line with the existing professional and broadcast products of its new parent company.
- Professional Cameras and Camcorders
- Viper FilmStream
- LDK Cameras
- LDK 6000 HD Cameras
- Digital Wireless Triax Cameras
- Servers and Media Storage
- Profile XP Video Servers
- Profile XP Open SAN System
- DVCPRO VTRs
- Master Control Systems
- Monitoring, Diagnostic and Control Software
- Switchers and Effects Systems
- Kalypso Video Production Center
- XtenDD Digital Production Switcher
- Zodiak Digital Video Production Switcher
- KayakDD Digital Video Production Switcher
- Modular Products
- Gecko Signal Processing
- Kameleon Media Processing
- Newton Modular Control Systems
- 7510 Series
- Digital News Production
- FeedClip Capture System
- NewsBrowse Web-Based Browser/Editor
- NewsEdit Products
- NewsQ Products
- Production Control Systems
- Andromeda Logical Signal Processing
- ProSet Production Setup
- Nennos Signal Management
- 1958 – Birth of the Grass Valley group as Dr. Donald Hare creates a tiny R&d company in a small town in the foothills of California’s Sierra Nevada range.
- 1964 – Grass Valley demonstrates its first video product, a video distribution amplifier, in a hotel room at the National Association of Broadcasters convention
- 1968 – Grass Valley Group introduces its first vision mixer, the flagship product that helps build the company’s reputation
- 1974 – Grass Valley Group merges with Tektronix
- 2002 – Thomson acquires Grass Valley Group.