FACTOID # 23: Wisconsin has more metal fabricators per capita than any other state.
 
 Home   Encyclopedia   Statistics   States A-Z   Flags   Maps   FAQ   About 
   
 
WHAT'S NEW
 

SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 

 

(* = Graphable)

 

 


Encyclopedia > Government House (Prince Edward Island)

Government House in Charlottetown is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. Government House is the name usually given to the residence of Governors-General, Governors and Lieutenant-Governors in the Commonwealth and the former British Empire. ... For the federal electoral district see Canadian city and the provincial capital of Prince Edward Island, with a population of 32,245 as of 2001. ... // An official residence is the residence at which heads of state, heads of government, or other senior figures officially reside. ... A Lieutenant Governor is a government official who is the subordinate or deputy of a Governor or Governor-General. ... Motto: Parva Sub Ingenti (Latin: The small under the protection of the great) Official languages English Capital Charlottetown Largest city Charlottetown Lieutenant-Governor J. Léonce Bernard Premier Pat Binns (PC) Parliamentary representation  - House seat  - Senate seats 4 4 Area Total  â€¢ Land  â€¢ Water    (% of total)  Ranked 13th 5,660 km...


Government House was built in 1834 and was intended to serve as a Vice regal residence for the Lieutenant Governors of the then British colony of Prince Edward Island. A viceroy is somebody who governs a country or province as a substitute for the monarch. ...


It is the home of the Lieutenant Governor and spouse and has the offices of the administrative staff required to support the official duties and activities associated with the Vice Regal function.


Government House is located on a parcel of land set aside by Governor Edmund Fanning in 1789 as Crown land, with the specific stipulation that it be used as the site for a residence for the Lieutenant Governor. The original parcel, known as Fanning Bank or Fanning's Bank, contained approximately 100 acres. The remaining parcel of approximately 10 acres was retained for Government House and its grounds, and the property has been known more recently as Fanningbank. Edmund Fanning (April 24, 1739–February 28, 1818) first gained fame for his role in the Battle of Alamance, but later had a distiguished career as a colonial governor and British general. ... 1789 was a common year starting on Thursday (see link for calendar). ... Crown land is a designated land belonging to the Crown, the equivalent of an entailed estate that passed with the monarchy and could not be alienated from it. ...


The architectural design of the house is Georgian with obvious echoes of the Palladian tradition. A villa with a superimposed portico, from Book IV of Palladios I Quattro Libri dellArchitettura, in a modestly priced English translation published in London, 1736. ...


See also


 
 

COMMENTARY     


Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Your name
Your comments

Want to know more?
Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 


Press Releases |  Feeds | Contact
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the GFDL.
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m