The current Government House is the fourth building to be built on the site. The first was built, and burned down, in 1852. In 1860, Cary Castle was built on the site by George Hunter Cary, the Attorney General of British Columbia and Vancouver Island at the time. In 1865, it was purchased by the Governor of Vancouver Island.
In 1866 Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia were merged to form the single Crown Colony of British Columbia, and in 1871 this new Crown Colony joined Canadian Confederation. At this point, Cary Castle was renamed Government House and became the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor.
This house was also destroyed by fire in 1899, and in 1903 another Government House was built on the site. In 1957, this house too burned down, and the current Government House was opened on May 19, 1959.
Today Government House serves as the official residence of the current Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Iona Campagnolo.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m