War memorials in Buckingham and Gawcott have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
Gawcott is derived from two words, the first being gafol which is old english and means tax tribute or rent, and the second part cot, meaning cottages.
Hence the name Gawcott means 'Cottage(s) for which rent is payable'.
Surveying the immediate area, he eventually chose a large field at Gawcott, near Buckingham and construction duly began.
The radio station at Gawcott was approached by a gravel path and - topped by an electrified strand - a four foot high barbed wire fence surrounded the site.With Russell Coleman as his 2nd in command, Mr.
Thomas Pryke held charge of the station with the personnel accommodated at lodgings in the village.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m