Fort Le Boeuf was a fort established by the French in 1753 on a fork of French Creek, which is a tributary of the Allegheny River in northwestern Pennsylvania. Its location was about twenty miles inland from Lake Erie near present-day Waterford. Fortifications (Latin fortis, strong, and facere, to make) are military constructions designed for defensive warfare. ... 1753 was a common year starting on Monday (see link for calendar). ... French Creek is a tributary of the Allegheny River in northwestern Pennsylvania and western New York in the United States. ... The Allegheny River (historically, especially in New York state, also spelled Allegany River) is a principal tributary of the Ohio River, which it forms with the Monongahela River at the downtown Pittsburghs Golden Triangle point. The river is approximately 325 mi (523 km) long, in the U.S. states... State nickname: The Keystone State Other U.S. States Capital Harrisburg Largest city Philadelphia Governor Ed Rendell (D) Senators Arlen Specter (R) Rick Santorum (R) Official languages None Area 119,283 kmÂ² (33rd) - Land 116,074 kmÂ² - Water 3,208 kmÂ² (2. ... Lake Erie, looking southward from a high rural bluff near Leamington, Ontario Lake Erie is one of the five large freshwater Great Lakes in North America, the worlds largest such lakes. ... Waterford is a borough located in Erie County, Pennsylvania. ...
Captain Le Mercier began construction on 11 July 1753 and Jacques Legardeur de St. Pierre became commander of the fort December 3, 1753. George Washington arrived December 11, 1753 on his historic mission chronicled in his The Journal of Major George Washington, of His Journey to the French Forces on Ohio (1754). Jump to: navigation, search George Washington (February 22, 1732âDecember 14, 1799) was an American planter, political figure, the highest ranking military leader in US history and first President of the United States. ...
This is a list for articles on notable historic forts which may or may not be under current active use by a military. ...
Stotz, Charles Morse (2005) Outposts Of The War For Empire: The French And English In Western Pennsylvania: Their Armies, Their Forts, Their People 1749-1764, Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press. ISBN 0822942623
Categories: Pennsylvania history | French and Indian War | Forts in Pennsylvania | Military history of the United States | French North America
Fort Duquesne was a fort established by the French in 1754, at the junction of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers in what is now downtown Pittsburgh in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania.
Work began on the fort on February 17 and Washington, who had been promoted to Lt. Colonel, left on April 2 as part of a small force with the dual purpose of constructing a road and defending the fort upon their arrival.
The French held Fort Duquesne during the French and Indian War, and it became one of the focal points for that war because of its location in disputed territory.
In 1753, Dinwiddie learned the French had built Fort Presque Isle near Lake Erie and FortLeBoeuf, which he saw a threatening Virginia's interests in the Ohio Country.
In January 1754, even before learning of the French refusal, Dinwiddie sent a small force of Virginia militia to build a fort at the forks of the Ohio River, where the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers merge to form the Ohio (present-day Pittsburgh).
Learning that the French had taken the fort, Washington pressed on and built a small stockade, "Fort Necessity", at a spot then called "Great Meadows", by the Youghiogheny River, eleven miles southeast of present-day Uniontown.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m