It was built on reclaimed land, and opened on January 15, 1912. The two-storey granite building is neo-classical in style supported by Ionic columns. It is surmounted by a blind-folded statue of Justice, represented by the Greek goddess Themis. This statue is a replica of the one erected on the Old Bailey of London. It was a left-over from the former Supreme Court.
In 1985, the judicial branch moved to the new Supreme Court Building. The old building was given to the Legislative Council and was renamed the Legislative Council Building.
The Court consists of the Chief Justice of the United States and eight Associate Justices, who are nominated by the President and confirmed with the "advice and consent" of the Senate.
The SupremeCourt was established by the Constitution of the United States, which was implemented in 1789; under the Judiciary Act of 1789, the Court was to be composed of six members—though the number of justices has been nine for almost all of its history, this number is set by Congress, not the Constitution.
SupremeCourtbuilding in Washington, D.C. After the federal government was established in Washington, the court was housed in a small, basement room in the United States Capitol (see W. Rehnquist, The SupremeCourt).
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m