Dodongos are a fictional race of dinosaur-like creatures in the Legend of Zelda series. They first appeared as minibosses in the original Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System, accompanied by the famous phrase "DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE" (a clue to use bombs to destroy them). They have caused all kinds of trouble throughout the series, including pestering the Goron race in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Although there was only one form of triceratops-like Dodongo in the original Legend of Zelda, there are many forms of Dodongo in Ocarina of Time and later: First, there is the baby form, in which the beasts can try to run into the enemy in numbers to subdue it.
There are five types of mature Dodongos:
1. First there are those that breathe fire and are mountain based, they also lash their tail whenever struck by an intruder, hoping to knock away the intruder from behind.
2. Similar to the species above, except they are susceptible to bombs when opening their mouth, stunning them for a few seconds. They are also a bit larger.
3. This species is rarely seen, and can swim in water and even up humongous waterfalls with its powerful muscles. An example of this is the Dodongo Link befriends in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons.
4. Another rare specimen, called King Dodongo, is the ruler of all Dodongos in Hyrule. He is much larger than any other Dodongo specimen.
5. This species is different from all the rest, on account of the fact that they are snakelike in appearance and have no visible eyes. They can be forced into eating bombs, which eventually causes them to explode from the inside out.