FACTOID # 20: Statistically, Delaware bears more cost of the US Military than any other state.
 
 Home   Encyclopedia   Statistics   States A-Z   Flags   Maps   FAQ   About 
   
 
WHAT'S NEW
 

SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 

 

(* = Graphable)

 

 


Encyclopedia > Cyfarthfa High School

Cyfarthfa High School was established in 1970 following the amalgamation of Cyfarthfa Castle Grammar School and Georgetown Secondary Modern School. Since September 1981 the Lower School, consisting of Year 7 and 8 pupils, has been housed in the Cyfarthfa Castle premises, Cyfarthfa Park, and the Upper School in excellent purpose built premises at Cae Mari Dwn, Thomastown. The sites are approximately two miles apart.

Contents

History of the School

1825 - 1981 In 1825 Cyfarthfa Castle erected by William Crawshay II, Ironmaster. In 1914 it was converted into two single-sex school. The ground floor was for boys, and the first floor was for girls. In 1946 it became one co-educational Grammar School, which it has remained since. In 1970 Cyfarthfa High School Comprehensive was formed by the amalgamation of Cyfarthfa Castle Grammar School with Georgetown Secondary Modern School. The Cyfarthfa Castle, commissioned in 1819 by the ironmaster William Crawshay. ... William Crawshay II (1788-1867) was the son of William Crawshay I, the owner of Cyfarthfa Ironworks in Merthyr Tydfil, south Wales. ... Since its coinage, the word homosexuality has acquired multiple meanings. ...


1981 - Present Day In 1981 Lower School (Years 7 and 8) transferred to the Castle Georgetown Buildings. The Cae Mari Dwn Building was built and in 1981 years 9 - 13 transferred to the new premises in September. In 1984 Upper School was formally opened by Chairman of Mid-Glamorgan Education Committee, Councillor Philip Squire.


The Cyfarthfa Crest And Motto

Both the motto of the school and indeed the name originate from the Welsh language. The word "CYFARTH" meaning to bark, is symbolised by the head of a barking dog and "FA" a place. (Thus, Cyfarthfa: A Place To Bark) The School's Motto is CADARN POB CYFIAWN, and is featured underneath the school Crest on the uniform. Roughly translated into english, this means "The Just are Strong". The flames which feature behind the head of the dog on the crest, symbolise the Cyfarthfa furnaces of the famous iron industry, that had previously graced the area during the Industrial Revolution. Welsh redirects here, and this article describes the Welsh language. ... A Watt steam engine. ...


Lower School

The Lower School (Cyfarthfa Castle) building has been modified over the years to accommodate the needs of a flourishing comprehensive school. It has good specialist facilities including two fully equipped computer rooms. Laboratories and other rooms have recently been fully refurbished. Use is made of the Cyfarthfa Park playing fields and tennis courts for school sporting activities and the school has joint ownership of a multi-sports all-weather play area (an astroturf).


Upper School

The Upper School is an attractive red brick building with pitched roofs. It contains a well-equipped technology suite, five computer rooms, science laboratories , a language laboratory (with satellite TV), commerce room, music suite, drama/stage areas, gymnasium, multi-gym room, library, flexi-learning resource centre and a sixth form common room. Most subject rooms are organised on a suite basis with connecting preparation rooms and have their own computer/audio visual aid provision. An RM network serves every area in the school and there is a fully functional Staff Development annex to the Staffroom.


Adjacent to the school are an all-weather hockey pitch, tennis and netball court. A full range of excellent playing fields caters for rugby, soccer, cricket and athletics. The sports facilities of the school are presently being upgraded, the upgrades which are nearing completion have actually been installed facing the wrong direction.


2006 And Beyond

Work is continuing on a brand new sports hall ajacent to the school, which had overtaken three of six tennis courts that previously occupied the area. The sports hall has been rumoured to cost £250,000 and work is likely to be completed for September 2007 (possibly earlier) before a new term starts.


Famous Alumni

Image:JulienMacDonaldpic.jpg
Julien Macdonald

Julien MacDonald (born March 19, 1972) is a Welsh fashion designer. ... Joely Richardson Joely Richardson (born January 9, 1965 in the U.K.) is a British actress, who was born into a theatrical family. ... Kylie Ann Minogue (born May 28, 1968) is a Grammy Award-winning Australian singer-songwriter and occasional actress. ... Naomi Campbell, born in England, United Kingdom on 22nd May 1970, is an iconic supermodel and sometime actress, singer and author. ...

External links

  • [1] - Official School Website.
  • [2] - Pictoral History Of Lower (Castle) School.

 
 

COMMENTARY     


Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Your name
Your comments

Want to know more?
Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 


Press Releases |  Feeds | Contact
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the GFDL.
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m