Concours or EU concours is a recruitment competition and examination to select staff to all institutions of the European Union. This article or section should be merged with List of European Union-related topics The European Union has several institutions: The European Parliament The European Council The Council of the European Union (or Council of Ministers) The European Commission The European Court of Justice (incorporating the Court of First Instance...
Explanation of Open Competition
According to the web site of the European Personnel Selection Office 1 whose mission is to organize and administer open competitions to select staff for recruitment to all institutions of the EU, all permanent staff for the EU institutions are recruited through open competitions (commonly referred to as concours in all languages, originally referring to the French public administration's recruitment exams). EPSO logo The European Personnel Selection Office (or EPSO) is a recruitment office for the European Unions institutions. ...
Recruitment refers to the process of finding possible candidates for a job or function, usually undertaken by recruiters. ...
Number of applicants
These attract a very considerable number of applicants from all over Europe.
Candidates know that passing the competition is the only way to become a permanent official in an EU institution.
Regarding non-permanent jobs like temporary agents, a similar selection takes place.
EU open competitions are published in the C series of the Official Journal (OJ) of the European Union.
The OJ gives the specific conditions and requirements for each published competition, along with an indication of the number of post available.
Availability of newsletter
You may nevertheless sign up for our newsletter to receive up-to-date information on upcoming exams.
Regarding the number of positions, it is always stated in the notice of competition.
This number indicates how many successful candidates will be placed on the reserve list, however, it does not guarantee that all of them will actually get a job.
Successful applicants who withdraw
Many candidates change their minds throughout the application process, so positions that appear to be filleed sometimes become available.
Ways to prepare
There are a number of practical steps you can take.
- Euractive EU news - Up-to-date events in the EU
- EUobserver.com - Another great source of information
Open Competition Blog
- eu-epso.blogspot.com - Information on EPSO open competitions
- European Parliament Fact Sheets - The EP's no. 1. resource
- EUbookshop.com - seller of important textbooks
- The Ultimate EU Test Book - the most comprehensive test book in this field
Summary of legislation
- http://epsoforum.com an open, non-commercial p2p (people to people) forum for EPSO competition candidates
-  - The reference book on the EU Oral Examination process
On line simulations
- EU Tests - Online tests and modules and downloadable materials
- pass EU concours - Online test simulation, statistics, ranking list
- EU Exams - Online tests