The Cincinnati Post is an afternoon daily newspaper published in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is owned by the Scripps Howard company.
The Post was first published by Frank and Walter Wellman on January 3, 1881. It was originally called the Penny Post. The Kentucky Post was created as an edition of the paper in 1885 to serve Cincinnati's suburbs across the Ohio River. It was acquired in the early twentieth century by Charles Phelps Taft, the half-brother of President William Howard Taft.
In the 1950s, it absorbed The Cincinnati Times-Star, another afternoon paper. It first published on June 15, 1880, when the Spirit of the Times (founded in 1840) and the Cincinnati Daily Star (founded in 1872) merged. The combined papers would be published under the name The Cincinnati Post and Times-Star until December 31, 1974; afterward it was simply The Cincinnati Post.
In 1977, the paper entered into a joint operating agreement with the other daily in Cincinnati, the morning Cincinnati Enquirer. Under the agreement, the Enquirer handles all business functions of both papers, including printing, distribution, and selling advertising. The JOA has not been successful for the paper. When it was entered into the Post outsold the Enquirer, but by 2004 the positions were reversed: the Enquirer outsells the Post by five to one. In January 2004, the Enquirer informed the Post it would not be renewing the agreement upon its expiration December 31, 2007. This will most likely lead to the closure of the Post and give the Enquirer a monopoly in the Queen City.
In the spring of 2004, the Post ended its distribution in the northern suburbs in Butler and Warren Counties to concentrate on Hamilton County and its Kentucky edition.
- Official site (http://www.cincypost.com)