In the seventeenth century, both parliament and the law courts met in buildings built alongside Christ Church. King James II himself presided over a state opening of parliament in that location. However parliament and the law courts both moved else; the law courts to the newly built Four Courts and parliament to Chichester House in Hoggen Green (now College Green).
The cathedral was extensively removated in Victorian times. While the renovation preserved the seriously decayed structure from collapse, it remains difficult as a result to tell which parts of the interior are genuinely mediŠval and which parts are Victorian pastiche. Photographs taken from the exterior show the dramatic nature of the rebuilding done by the Victorians.
The Cathedral famously purported contains the tomb of Strongbow, a mediŠval Welsh peer and warlord who came to Ireland at the request of King Diarmuid MacMorrough and whose arrival marked the beginning of English involvement in Ireland. As with other aspects of Christ Church, the tomb in the nave is not actually Strongbow's: the original tomb having been destroyed centuries ago, an unconnected mediŠval tomb was moved soon afterwards from a church in Drogheda to Christ Church, placed on the site of Strongbow's tomb and identified as Strongbow's. The cathedral does genuinely contain the largest cathedral crypt in Britain or Ireland. Having been recently renovated it is now open for visitors. It contains various monuments, a carved statue that until the late eighteenth century stood outside the Tholsel (Dublin's mediŠval city hall which no longer exists) and a set of candlesticks which were used when the cathedral last operated (for a very short time) under the Roman rite, when the Catholic King James II, having fled England in 1690, came to Ireland to fight for his throne and attended High Mass in the temporarily catholicised Christ Church.
Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, formally known as The National Cathedral and Collegiate Church of Saint Patrick, Dublin or in the Irish language as ├ürd Eaglais Naomh P├ídraig, is the larger of Dublin's two Church of Ireland Cathedrals.
Unusually it is not a sole seat of a bishop, as Dublin's Church of Ireland Archbishop has his seat in Christ Church Cathedral, with St. Patrick's being seen as the National Cathedral for the whole island, drawing chapter members from each of the twelve dioceses of the Church of Ireland.
Though the rebuild ensured the survival of the Cathedral, a failure to preserve records of the scale of the rebuild means that little is known as to how much of the current building is genuinely medi├Žval and how much is victorian pastiche.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m