The San Martino museum in Naples with Sant'Elmo fortress visible behind it.
The Certosa di San Martino (ItalianSt. Martin's Charterhouse) is a former monastery complex, now a museum, in Naples, southern Italy. It the most visible landmark of the city, perched atop the Vomero hill that commands the gulf. A Carthusian monastery, it was finished and inaugurated under the rule of Queen Joan I in 1368. It was dedicated to St. Martin, bishop of Tours. During the first half of the sixteenth century it was expanded. Later, in 1623, it was further expanded and became, under the direction of architect Cosimo Fanzago, essentially the structure one sees today. In the early 1800s, under French rule the monastery was closed and was abandoned by the religious order. Today, the museum houses a museum with a display of Spanish and Bourbon era artifacts, as well as displays of the presepe--Nativity scene--considered to be among the finest in the world. Charterhouse is a Carthusian monastery founded in 1371 by Walter de Manny, in Smithfield in the City of London. ... Country Italy Region Campania Province Naples (NA) Mayor Rosa Russo Jervolino Elevation 17 m Area 117 kmÂ² Population - Total (as of December 31, 2004) 1,000,470 - Density 8,457/kmÂ² Time zone CET, UTC+1 Coordinates Gentilic Napoletani Dialing code 081 Postal code 80100 Patron Saint Januarius - Day September... A Carthusian Monastery in Jerez, Spain The Carthusian Order, also called the Order of St. ... Queen Joan I (1327 â May 12, 1382) was born Joanna of Anjou. ... Cosimo Fanzago (1591-1678) was an Italian Baroque Sculptor active in Naples. ...
Categories: Italy buildings and structures stubs | 1368 establishments | Buildings and structures in Naples Country Italy Region Campania Province Naples (NA) Mayor Rosa Russo Jervolino Elevation 17 m Area 117 kmÂ² Population - Total (as of December 31, 2004) 1,000,470 - Density 8,457/kmÂ² Time zone CET, UTC+1 Coordinates Gentilic Napoletani Dialing code 081 Postal code 80100 Patron Saint Januarius - Day September... Originally, a landmark literally meant a geographic feature used by explorers and others to find their way back or through an area. ... Image File history File links Napoli-Stemma. ... The recently (2006) restored faÃ§ade of the Albergo dei Poveri in Naples. ... The 17th century apse. ... The Cappella Sansevero is chapel north to the church of San Domenico Maggiore, in the historic center of Naples, southern Italy. ... Castel dellOvo. ... Castel Nuovo. ... In Neapolitan nomenclature, GesÃ¹ Nuovo, generally refers to the square of that name, Piazza del GesÃ¹ Nuovo, located just outside the western boundary of the old, historic center of the city. ... The Museum of Capodimonte (Museo di Capodimonte), housed in a grand Bourbon palazzo in Naples, Italy, is the prime repository of Neapolitan and Italian cultural heritage in the city. ... The Royal Palace of Naples is one of four palaces that the Bourbons of Naples used during their rule of the Kingdom of Naples (1730-1860): one is in Caserta, another on the Capodimonte hill overlooking Naples, and the third (now the site of the agricultural department of the University... Mount Vesuvius as seen from Posillipo Posillipo is a residential quarter of Naples, called Pusilleco in the Neapolitan language. ... The Church of San Domenico Maggiore in Naples In Neapolitan nomenclature, San Domenico Maggiore can mean either the square of that name or the church located on that square. ... The 17th century apse. ... (see also GesÃ¹_Nuovo) The Church of Santa Chiara Santa Chiara is a religious complex in Naples, southern Italy, that includes the Church of Santa Chiara, a monastery, tombs and an archeological museum. ... FaÃ§ade of Teatro San Carlo. ...
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m