Cayuga County Community College is a two year SUNY college in Cayuga County, New York. The college began in 1953 as Auburn Community College. Its main center is in Auburn, New York, but the college also services Oswego County with its center in Fulton, New York. The State University of New York (acronym SUNY; usually pronounced SOO-nee) is a system of public institutions of higher education in New York, United States. ...
Location in the state of New York Formed 1799 Seat Auburn Area - Total - Water 2,237 kmÂ² (864 miÂ²) 441 kmÂ² (170 miÂ²) 19. ...
Auburn is a city located in Cayuga County, New York, United States of America. ...
Oswego County is a county located in the state of New York. ...
Fulton is the name of some places in the U.S. state of New York: Fulton, Oswego County, New York Fulton, Schoharie County, New York This is a disambiguation page — a navigational aid which lists other pages that might otherwise share the same title. ...
On April 9, 1953, the State University of New York (SUNY) Board of Trustees approved the establishment of a community college in Auburn under the sponsorship of the Auburn City School District. Auburn Community College opened its doors the following September in the former James Street Elementary School. It was the first community college developed entirely after the establishment of SUNY. When Cayuga County assumed sponsorship for the College in July 1975, the name was officially changed to Cayuga County Community College.
Sixty-nine students formed the first freshman class. They joined acting president Charles G. Hetherington, Ph.D., and the charter faculty in ushering in a new era of higher education for Central New York.
To accommodate a rising student population, the College moved in 1959 to the current Auburn campus on Franklin Street. Later construction added a cluster of facilities around the original classroom building, now known as the main building: the library (1964), the technology building (1970), the bookstore (1971), Spartan Hall (1980), and the nature center (1983).
The most recent major capital project, totaling $10.3 million, was undertaken in 2000. Approximately half that amount provided for further upgrades to the Auburn campus for energy efficiency, online technology, classroom renovations, parking capacity, and space usage, while $5.1 million funded the construction of the new Regional Economic Center.
Opened in 2003, this building houses classrooms for Cayuga students; the offices of several agencies providing employment services to area residents; the new home of the college’s NASA-sponsored Institute for the Application of Geospatial Technology; and the college’s Business and Industry Center, a workforce training complex. A partnership of federal, state and local governments as well as private contributors made the landmark Regional Economic Center possible.
Over the years, Dr. Hetherington’s presidency was succeeded by those of Albert T. Skinner, Ph.D. (1958–77); John H. Anthony, Ed.D. (1977–80); Helena B. Howe, J.D. (1980–86); and Lawrence H. Poole, Ph.D. (1986–96). Dennis Golladay, Ph.D., joined Cayuga as its sixth president.
Today, more than 3,000 students are enrolled either full-time or part-time at Cayuga’s two locations.
It's official college newspaper is the award-winning Cayuga Collegian, a weekly 4-12 page tabloid-style publication. It features sections such as: Arts and Entertainment, National and World, Cayuga In-Depth, Spartan Sports and more. The newspaper has been under the control of Josh Cradduck, it's editor-in-chief, since 2004. The Editor in chief is a publications primary editor. ...
The campus also publishes the Cayuga Community College Alumni Newsletter, every semester.
- Cayuga County Community College