The stadium was demolished in 1997 and a new stadium, the Millennium Stadium, was built in its place (completed in 1999). Cardiff Rugby Club's stadium, right next door to the Millennium Stadium (and in fact physically attached to the rear of Millennium Stadium's North Stand), still retains the Cardiff Arms Park name.
Categories: Rugby union stubs | Buildings and structures stubs | UK geography stubs | Rugby stadiums | Welsh rugby
CardiffArmsPark was the ground where Glamorgan played their inaugural first-class game in 1921, and up until 1966, it was the county's base in the Welsh capital.
In 1803 the CardiffArms and the Park became the property of the Marquess of Bute, who owned Cardiff Castle, and vast tracts of land in the area.
In 1876 Cardiff R.F.C. was formed and during the winter months rugby fixtures took place to the south of the cricket ground, with the cricket pavilion also being used as a changing room by the rugby players.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m