FACTOID # 14: North Carolina has a larger Native American population than North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana combined.
 
 Home   Encyclopedia   Statistics   States A-Z   Flags   Maps   FAQ   About 
   
 
WHAT'S NEW
 

SEARCH ALL

FACTS & STATISTICS    Advanced view

Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 

 

(* = Graphable)

 

 


Encyclopedia > Brooklyn Navy Yard

The New York Naval Shipyard (NYNSY), also known as the Brooklyn Navy Yard , the New York Navy Yard and United States Navy Yard, New York, is located 1.7 miles northeast of the Battery on the Brooklyn side of the East River in Wallabout Basin, a semicircular bend of the East River.


The Navy Yard was established by the federal government in 1801. By the American Civil War, the Yard had expanded to employ about 6000 men. On the eve of World War II, the yard contained more than five miles (8 km) of paved streets, four drydocks ranging in length from 326 to 700 feet (99 to 213 meters), two steel shipways, and six pontoons and cylindrical floats for salvage work, barracks for marines, a power plant, a large radio station, and a railroad spur, as well as the expected foundries, machine shops, and warehouses. In 1938 the Yard employed about ten thousand men, of whom one-third were Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers.


The Yard was the site for the construction of Robert Fulton's steam frigate, Fulton, launched in 1815. In 1890, USS Maine (ACR-1) was launched from the Yard's ways. In 1937 the battleship North Carolina (BB-55) was laid down. The battleship Iowa (BB-61) was completed in 1942. On January 12, 1953, test operations begin on USS Antietam (CVA-36) which emerged in December 1952 from the Yard as America's first angled-deck aircraft carrier.


The Navy decommissioned the Yard in 1966, but it became an area of private manufacturing and commercial activity. Now the Yard has over 200 tenants with more than 3500 employees, and is managed and operated by the Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation for the City of New York.


The Yard has three piers, owned by the City of New York and operated by Seatrain Shipbuilding and Coastal Drydock and Repair Corporation, and a total of 10 berths ranging from 350 to 890 feet long, with ten-foot deck height and 25 to 40 feet (7 to 12 meters) of depth alongside. A Federal project maintains a channel depth of 35 feet (10 m) from Throgs Neck to the Yard, about two miles from the western entrance, and thence 40 feet (12 m) of depth to the deep water in the Upper Bay. Current in the East River is strong and congestion is heavy. Access to the piers requires passage under the Manhattan Bridge (a suspension open with a clearance of 134 feet or 41 m) and the Brooklyn Bridge (a suspension span with a clearance of 127 feet or 39 m).


The Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation maintains a Web site at http://www.brooklynnavyyard.org/ .




  Results from FactBites:
 
Brooklyn Navy Yard (1) (878 words)
The commandant's house, oldest structure in the yard, built in 1807, is near the foot of Navy Street at the river.
Brooklyn Navy Yard is also associated with the early days of the steamboat: the Fulton was constructed here in 1814-15 from the inventor's plans.
The Navy Yard District, spreading south and west of the yard from the East River, is a shapeless grotesque neighborhood, its grimy cobblestone thoroughfares filled with flophouses, crumbling tenements and greasy restaurants.
  More results at FactBites »

 
 

COMMENTARY     


Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Your name
Your comments

Want to know more?
Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:

 


Press Releases |  Feeds | Contact
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the GFDL.
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m