The British 78th Infantry Division also known as the Battleaxe Division fought in the Second World War in North Africa and Italy. Mushroom cloud from the nuclear explosion over Nagasaki rising 18 km into the air. ...
Northern Africa (UN subregion) geographic, including above North Africa or Northern Africa is the northernmost region of the African continent. ...
The 78th was formed specifically for Operation Torch, landing at Algiers in 1942. Thereafter it continued in Tunisia then Italy via Sicily. It fought at the battle of Monte Cassino and the Gustav Line Combatants United States United Kingdom Free French Germany Vichy France Commanders Dwight Eisenhower FranÃ§ois Darlan Strength 73,500 ? Casualties 479+ dead 720 wounded 1346+ dead 1997 wounded Operation Torch was the Anglo-American invasion of French North Africa in World War II during the North African Campaign, started November...
Sicily (Sicilia in Italian and Sicilian) is an autonomous region of Italy and the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, with an area of 25,700 sq. ...
Combatants Allies (Free French, Italy, India, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, USA, UK, Canada) Nazi Germany Commanders Harold Alexander Albert Kesselring Frido von Senger Richard Heidrich Strength ? ? Casualties 54,000 20,000 The strategic position of Monte Cassino has made it the repeated scene of battles and sieges from antiquity. ...
The Winter Line was a series of German military fortifications in Italy, constructed during World War II by Organisation Todt. ...
Order of battle as of April 1945 as part of the British 8th Army The Eighth Army was one of the best-known formations in World War II, fighting in the campaigns in North Africa and Italy. ...
- Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards)
- 9th Lancers
- 10th Hussars
- 2nd Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers
- 1st Battalion, The East Surrey Regiment
- 5th Battalion, The North Hamptonshire Regiment
- 5th Battalion, The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment)
- 6th Battalion, The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment
- 8th Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's)
- 2nd Battalion, The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
- 1st Battalion, The Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's)
- 2nd Battalion, The London Irish Rifles (Territorial Army)
- 1st Battalion, The Kensington Regiment (Territorial Army)
- 56th Reconnaissance Regiment
- 17th Field Regiment [-1bty]
- 132nd Field Regiment
- 138th Field Regiment
- 64th Anti-Tank Regiment
- 11th Regiment, Royal Horse Artillery (Self-Propelled)
- 214th Field Company
- 237th Field Company
- 256th Field Company
- 281st Field Park Company