UK is dedicated to Saint Botolph, the name "Boston" possibly being a corruption of "Botolph's Town". The "Cotton Chapel", named after him, was at one time used as a school, but was restored in 1857.
The church is one of the largest parish churches in England, and has the highest tower, the so-called Boston Stump. The tower is approximately 272 feet high, and can be seen for miles around, the East Anglian countryside being famous for its flatness. It provides a landmark from the other side of the Wash. The nickname dates from the construction of the church in around 1450.
It is believed that the church was built on the site of a monastery founded by Botolph in 654. The present building was begun in 1309, but the tower was not begun until 1450. The nave is 245 feet long and 98 feet wide.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m