: Бары́саў; Russian
: Бори́сов) (population 150,700 as of 1999
) is a town in Belarus
situated near the Berezina
River. It was founded in 1102
prince Boris Vseslavovich. In 1812 Napoleon
's troops were defeated while crossing the Berezina river
(the bridge being destroyed in the process). In 1871
, a railroad between Brest
under construction passed near Borisov, and a railroad station was built there. In 1900
the area around the station was annexed to Borisov. In November 1917
it became a part of the Soviet Union
. From 1918
it was occupied by German
and then Polish
soldiers; after they were evicted, the Belarussian Soviet Socialist Republic was established.
During World War II, Borisov was again occupied by Germans from July 2, 1941, to July 1, 1944, and most of the city was destroyed and impoverished again. After the war Borisov became a major industrial center, and as of 2002 there are 41 large factories, whose goods are well-known across Russia, the CIS and abroad. The railroad is still an important artery, but now it is powered by overhead electric lines. Most enterprises are still owned and operated by the government; the current Belarussian president Lukashenko tries to discourage privatization.
As usual for this region, families live mostly in flats in large, modern apartment buildings, but there are some single-family homes on the outskirts, some of which do not yet have indoor plumbing. The water comes from an artesian well and is very clean and healthy.
- Coat of Arms (http://txt.knihi.com/hierb/barys.gif)
- Photos on Radzima.org (http://radzima.org/pub/miesta.php?miesta_id1=mebabary)