Bloomington is a city located in McLean County, Illinois. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 64,808. It is the county seat of Airport (CIRA). It is adjacent to Normal, Illinois, and when mentioned together they are known as the "Twin Cities", "Bloomington-Normal", or simply "B-N." The current mayor of Bloomington is Judy Markowitz.
Many residents of Chicago's Cabrini_Green housing project have made Bloomington their new home.
Bloomington is located at 40°28'39" North, 88°59'1" West (40.477585, _88.983509)1.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 58.3 km˛ (22.5 mi˛). 58.3 km˛ (22.5 mi˛) of it is land and none of it is covered by water.
Division Street, as the name says, divides Bloomington and Normal, with Bloomington to the south and Normal to the north.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 64,808 people, 26,642 households, and 15,718 families residing in the city. The population density is 1,112.1/km˛ (2,880.3/mi˛). There are 28,431 housing units at an average density of 487.9/km˛ (1,263.6/mi˛). The racial makeup of the city is 84.92% White, 8.64% African American, 0.18% Native American, 3.02% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.42% from other races, and 1.78% from two or more races. 3.32% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 26,642 households out of which 30.7% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.3% are married couples living together, 9.7% have a female householder with no husband present, and 41.0% are non-families. 32.8% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.1% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.34 and the average family size is 3.04.
In the city the population is spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 12.5% from 18 to 24, 33.3% from 25 to 44, 19.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 32 years. For every 100 females there are 94.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $46,496, and the median income for a family is $61,093. Males have a median income of $41,736 versus $29,077 for females. The per capita income for the city is $24,751. 7.8% of the population and 4.3% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 7.5% of those under the age of 18 and 5.8% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- Illinois Wesleyan University (http://www.iwu.edu)
- City Of Bloomington (http://www.cityblm.org)
- Bloomington Public Schools, District 87 (http://www.district87.org)
- Bloomington Cultural District (http://www.cityblm.org/bcd)
- Bloomington Arena Project (http://www.cityhall.ci.bloomington.il.us/arena)
- Uniquely Bloomington (http://www.uniquelybloomington.com)
- Central Illinois Regional Airport (http://www.cira.com)
- Moses Montefiore Congregation (http://www.mosesmontefiorecongregation.org/) _ Union for Reform Judaism
- Maps and aerial photos
- Street map from Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=40.477585&longitude=-88.983509&zoom=6)
- Topographic map from Topozone (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40.477585&lon=-88.983509&s=200&size=m&layer=DRG100)
- Aerial photograph from Microsoft Terraserver (http://terraserver.microsoft.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=14&lon=-88.983509&lat=40.477585&w=750&h=500)