The socialist government of East Germany demolished the palace in 1950 as a symbol of "prussianmilitarism", except for the balcony of portal IV where Karl Liebknecht declared the formation of a German freie sozialistische Republik (free socialist republic) that never came to existence. The socialists erected the Palast der Republik, a modern socialist realist building, on the foundations of the City Palace, and the plaza was renamed Marx-Engels_Platz. The portal survived as a part of the former State Council Building (Staatsratsgebäude) at the southern end of the place.
After German reunification, the name of the plaza was changed back to Schlossplatz, and the Palast was found to be unsafe due to asbestos. Despite vocal opposition from groups who claim that the Palast is itself historically important and should therefore be saved, in November 2003, the German parliament decided to demolish the Palast der Republik and reconstruct the City Palace; however, funding has not been found yet.
Förderverein Berliner Schloss e.V. (http://www.berliner_schloss.de/) (Association for the Promotion of the Berlin City Palace)
Categories: Germany-related stubs | Berlin | City halls
It was built on the site of the old BerlinerStadtschloss (Berlin City Palace), which was damaged during World War II but finally demolished by the GDR authorities in 1950 as a symbol of Prussian imperialism.
In November 2003, the German parliament decided to demolish the building and leave the area as a green space until funding for the reconstruction of the Stadtschloss could be found.
Share your thoughts, questions and commentary here
Want to know more? Search encyclopedia, statistics and forums:
Press Releases |
The Wikipedia article included on this page is licensed under the
Images may be subject to relevant owners' copyright.
All other elements are (c) copyright NationMaster.com 2003-5. All Rights Reserved.
Usage implies agreement with terms, 1022, m