Bereg is the name of a historic administrative county (comitatus) of the Kingdom of Hungary. Its territory is presently in north-eastern Hungary and western Ukraine. The capital of the county was Berehove (Ukrainian, Beregsz sz in Hungarian, Beregovo in Russian).
Bereg county shared borders with the Austrian crownland Galicia (currently in Poland and Ukraine) and the Hungarian counties M ramaros, Ugocsa, Szatm r, Szabolcs and Ung. It was situated between the Carpathian Mountains in the north and the river Tisza in the south. Its area was 3788 km around 1910.
Bereg is one of the oldest counties of the Kingdom of Hungary. In 1918 (confirmed by the Treaty of Trianon 1920), most of the county (including Berehove and Mukacheve) became part of newly formed Czechoslovakia. The southwestern part remained in Hungary (county Szatm r-Ugocsa-Bereg).
During World War II, when Czechoslovakia was split temporarily, the complete county was occupied by Hungary under the First Vienna Award. The county Bereg was recreated, again with Berehove/Beregsz sz as capital.
After World War II, the formerly Czechoslovak part of Bereg county became part of the Soviet Union, Ukrainian SSR, Zakarpattya region. Since 1991, when the Soviet Union split up, the Zakarpattya region is part of Ukraine.
The south-western part of the county, that was in Hungary before World War II, became part of the Hungarian county Szabolcs-Szatm r. This county was renamed Szabolcs-Szatm r-Bereg in the 1990s.
In the early 20th century, the districts and their capitals were:
- Tiszah t, capital Berehove (Hungarian: Beregsz sz)
- Koson' (Hungarian: Mezőkaszony)
- Mukacheve (Hungarian: Munk cs)
- Felvid k, capital Irshava (Hungarian: Ilosva)
- Latorca, capital Rosvegove (Hungarian: Oroszv g, presently a part of Mukacheve)
- Svalyava (Hungarian: Szolyva)
All mentioned towns are presently in Ukraine.